Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to make 35 Whelen brass
 Login/Join

posted
Hey folks, whats the best way to make 35 Whelen brass out of 30-06 brass? Also, what would I need to accomplish such a feat?

Posts: 21 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Get a 35 Whelen die set with a tapered expander ball such as made by Hornady. Run new 30-06 brass into the die with the inside of the necks lubed with Imperial sizing die wax. Do this slowly. You will be able to feel when the expansion is happening. You are aware I assume that 35 Whelan brass is available new???

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
make sure to trim to length/measure
and champher the mouth of the cases and you should be fine.

The ONE Main Rule with reloading is:

Every step is an inspection step. Never handle a case, or shell without inspecting it. Just a glance is fine, but, look them over all the time. It's amazing what you can find.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, I was looking on several sites I usually order my brass from, but they don't have ANY, heck midwayusa says its unavailable and a seasonal item.

I have Lee dies, and ran a lubed 30-06 case into the sizing die but it don't end up looking like Whelen brass.

Posts: 21 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Just buy RCBS Full length die and resize 30-06 brass as normal.....not difficult.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote