THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    300 gr Sierras in 338 lapua are more than 50% IN the case!!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 gr Sierras in 338 lapua are more than 50% IN the case!!
 Login/Join

posted
If I have to believe the books (and I do, just for my own sake salute ), The 300gr Sierra butllets seats to 3.602 inches COL (lapua data).

If I seat this bullet this deep, it is more than 50% IN the case!

The 250gr scenars (who have a different convex curve, I know), are seated at a COL of 3.682, and this for a smaller bullet.

I loaded 5 shots with the Sierras and plan to burn them next saturday at the 600m range, but I'm still worried about the HUGE difference in the Sierra data (Speer guide says 3.680 COL for the 300gr HPBT), and the official Lapua data (which is 3.602 COL).

Can a bullet this deep in the case be propelled out of the case correctly?

Good shooting!
300 WSM
338 Lapua

Posts: 4 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The seating depth won't be an issue, and that can be adjusted to longer COAL if your chamber throat and accuracy allow, infact it may well shoot better if you can seat it out longer.

Bigger issue would be is your barrel twist fast enough to handle that longer bullet? Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
A 10 twist will stabalize the 300 grain SMK..... I set mine up for a COL of 3.9" and a magazine to allow this length.... The 3.6 inch loaded lenght is inorder to work through any and all magazines.....

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
A 10 twist will stabalize the 300 grain SMK..... I set mine up for a COL of 3.9" and a magazine to allow this length.... The 3.6 inch loaded lenght is inorder to work through any and all magazines.....

That is good to know. I have stockpiled some of those 300-grain SMK's but have not had a chance to load and shoot them yet. My barrels are 10" twist.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote