Notify
Tools

What would you do?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
I have two questions.

First for shooting the larger African plainsgame, Kudu, Zebra, Gemsbok with a 7mm bullet which one would you use a 160gr or 175gr. Now before we all shout 175gr. let's think about about muzzle velocity and ft. lbs.
First we start the the 160gr at 2800fps it will generate 2786ft. lbs.
Next is the 175gr. at 2700fps it generates 2833ft. lbs or a difference of 47 ft. lbs. Is that enough to warrant the 175gr. all by itself or do we need to look SD's and BC's. The SD of the 160 is .283 the 175gr is .310.
Now the BC's of the 160 is .475 for a partition and the 175gr. is .519.
Now sighting the 160gr in at 1.8" high at 100 yds. you will be 7.8" low at 300.
The 175gr 2" at 100 will be 8.3" low at 300.

Basically I see no difference between these two bullet weights at practical velocity from a non-magnum round.
The biggest unknown for me is the SD factor and possible deeper pentration. I think this mitigated by bullet choice ie jacket thickness or how fast one bullet opens up vs. another.
Question to you is which one would you use, 47 more ft. lbs in the 175gr or .7" of trajectory in the 160gr. OR am I missing something here.

Next question is if you could gain 100fps on the above by Improving a round would you do it. Is it worth the time and trouble and not to mention a new set of dies at $150 for the Redding Comp. set.
You will gain on average 200 more ft. lbs of energy and .5 avg. in trajectory over 300 yards.

All info was gained using the Nosler #5 reloading guide and the round is a 280 Rem. This is something I really want to know as right now I am having this gun re-barreled and need to know on AI.

Thanks

Wayne

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, first of all, I would use something a little larger than a 7mm. The PH I have talked to all "prefer" their clients to use at least one of the "big" 30-calibers.

As for screwing around to get an extra 100 FPS, it really isn't worth it.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'm a real fan of the .280 Rem.....and I'd be using 175 grain premium bullets....either bonded or NPs.

I personally don't have much use for the AI guns.....they are marginally better and for a lot of extra cost. Stick with the .280...it's a fine round.

From my own personal experience with plains game you should be alright with the .280 but I wouldn't go with much less.

If Blue Wildebeest is on the menu, I'd opt for something closer to a .338 mag. My PH told me that they charge lots of the time when wounded.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote