Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55mm and TBBC 140gr.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't have a Speer Manual yet.

But could someone help me look up some info here...

6.5x55mm and the 140gr TBBC...

I have a Ruger M77 MKII and I'm looking at running this bullet near max load for my rifle...

Just curious at this point... bewildered

I'm looking for a powder with some promise... Big Grin

Looking for a STOUT load for shooting Oryx and Wildebeest...

Thanks and I hope to return the favor some day as well... thumb

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 22. Work up to 48 maybe 49 grains. 48 grains should give you 2800 fps.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Re-22 will get you the highest velocities, though high SD bullets at moderate speeds make the Swede shine and helped build its reputation as a fantastic game-taker.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ned..I appreciate it brother.. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Re-22 will get you the highest velocities, though high SD bullets at moderate speeds make the Swede shine and helped build its reputation as a fantastic game-taker.

True Bobby..

Any recommendations as I'm looking for supreme accuracy #1 with bone crushing power #2...at what velocity range would you think it would run sweet?

Any suggestions as to what powder(s) I should look into first?

I've no experience with this cartridge but I've read what you described awhile back...

I'm not trying to make the SWEDE something its not by all means, but I'm looking to get its full potential from its design to take on these big guys... Big Grin

Thank you.. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also, are you suggesting that running it at 2800fps rather than at 2650fps would render my TBBC 140gr pill LESS EFFECTIVE on the game intended?

The area I will be hunting is quite thick with vegetation and my plan is to bust'em through the shoulders to anchor them whenever possible or CNS.

Hence the TBBC 140 grainer...

Would it be better in your opinion or anyone elses for that matter that I should stay away from this objective?

I don't know... Is the caliber "too light" in your opinion to do this in your EXPERIENCE? bewildered

Any help would be greatly appreciated brother(s)... thumb

posted Hide Post
hello boy
only one question : you are sure 2800 fps ( 853 m/S) with 140 grs in 6.5 SM in Africa land ???. I dont know re22 in Italy not found.
I use 139grs Vulkan (norma bullets ) with 43 grs of Norma 204 and is very hot reload for summer

bye bye

double??? troubles !
9.3x74 r Merkel Mod 140

Posts: 16 | Location: Florence Italy | Registered: 31 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by expressboy:
hello boy
only one question : you are sure 2800 fps ( 853 m/S) with 140 grs in 6.5 SM in Africa land ???. I dont know re22 in Italy not found.
I use 139grs Vulkan (norma bullets ) with 43 grs of Norma 204 and is very hot reload for summer

bye bye

I'll be there in early June so ambient temp should be fine and I will definitely back it off from my rifles max load for sure...Yep, I want to run a SAFE stout load...Not really trying to hot-rod it if you know what I mean....just a good stout load is all I'm after...

If I get recommendations to stay at 2700fps or 2650 fps for that matter I will definitely heed the advice...That's why I'm on this forum to learn from the experienced...

I'm not familiar with your powder either, but thank you very much for your info!... thumb

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For the situation you describe, yes, the 140 grain TBBC at 2800 fps will do nicely -- and Re-22 will get you there safely given 22-24" of barrel length.

The bone structure of the game you describe is neither extremely stout, nor are the animals thick-skinned, so the small-bore Swede will do fine.

As to my reference to high SDs and moderate velocities: for most game, a cup-and-core 140 grainer at 2700-2750 MV fps will penetrate virtually as much as premiums. But for your situation -- shooting through a shoulder of larger plains game -- a premium like you've chosen is a good move.

47 grains of Re-22 with various 140s has worked well for me in a number of different 6.5x55 rifles. The load is somewhat below max in a good bolt rifle and generally produces around 2700-2750 fps from a 23-24" barrel.

Start around 45-46 grains and work up carefully.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple hogs I took using a 6.5 Bullberry IMP with a 140 grain Sierra GameKing at around 2500 fps MV from a 1:8, 26" Match Grade Machine Contender barrel. Complete penetration is the norm.

Also, below the photos you'll find a link to a review of a 6.5 BRM (similar to my 6.5 BB IMP) that Fran Metz used in Africa to successfully take gemsbock and wildebeest, among other species. So your Swede is certainly up to the task.

http://www.eabco.com/Review01.html
http://www.eabco.com/Review03.html
PS-I am not promoting or endorsing eabco products...just added these for some 6.5 references... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the situation you describe, yes, the 140 grain TBBC at 2800 fps will do nicely -- and Re-22 will get you there safely given 22-24" of barrel length.

The bone structure of the game you describe is neither extremely stout, nor are the animals thick-skinned, so the small-bore Swede will do fine.

As to my reference to high SDs and moderate velocities: for most game, a cup-and-core 140 grainer at 2700-2750 MV fps will penetrate virtually as much as premiums. But for your situation -- shooting through a shoulder of larger plains game -- a premium like you've chosen is a good move.

47 grains of Re-22 with various 140s has worked well for me in a number of different 6.5x55 rifles. The load is somewhat below max in a good bolt rifle and generally produces around 2700-2750 fps from a 23-24" barrel.

Start around 45-46 grains and work up carefully.

Right on Bobby I appreciate the help!!!

I have a better understanding now and feel confident that my weapon of choice will help me achieve my goals in Africa...

Although I'm in the early planning stages of selecting the 6.5x55mm for my next visit to hunt Plains Game, I wanted to be sure my goals were realistic...

Again many thanks... Wink

BTW your hunting partners look like they're having a blast...

I took my 18 yr old son to Africa last year and it has forever changed his life!

Father and sons/daughters hunting is a very deep thing for sure...Creating those memories in the field are truly special indeed!

Congrats brother!!!