Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a winchester model 70 (not pre64) 30-06 that blew the
extracture out of it i checked the headspace with a nogo
gauge its o.k. I used my eletric cleaner on it and when
I pulled out the rod the first 5in. of the rod had a bright
yellow substance on anyone have any idea what happened

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can think of is that the pressures were so high that some brass was blown down the barrel. You say the extractor came out? Were there extractor marks on the head of the cartridge? Did you measure the case head diameter to see if the case head expansion is more than 5 thousanths? Will the primer pocket still hold a primer firmly?
Any of these would indicate very high pressures.
I had a friend with some of those symptoms swear he had use that same load before and, then, all of a sudden, something like this happened. We pulled a couple of bullets from the unfired rounds he had left and found that the powder he thought he had used for the loads was still in the can. What he actually used was anyone's guess.
If you still have the case and a round or two unfired, try measuring them.
I wouldn't shoot any more of that lot until I was very sure what happened, in fact I don't think I would use any of that lot at all!

one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry for not suppling enough info i was shooting reloads
I went through the whole batch after the fact and could
find no problems.the brass was wrecked the primer was gone
and the funny part I fired two shots and hit an elk a 400 yrds with the rifle blowinng off in my face both times

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote