Notify
Tools

Molly coating Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted
Gentlemen

I just molly coated some TSX's and now the hollow points are full of molly powder. Will this cause them not to expand? Does anyone have experience molly coating X bullets or any other hollow points and using them on game? Thanks for your help.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try in in wet news print. You will able to see the wound channel. I know that when I filled the hollow points with wax in handgun bullets they expaned faster. Give it a try

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I mollied some original X bullets (180 g. .308). Some of the hp's were clogged with molly, some were not. I got a very small drill bit at the local hardware store and picked the molly out of the ones that were clogged. If I were to do it again, I would try filling the cavity's with parafin or bee's wax prior to coating.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I molly coated the X bullets using the MidwayUSA tumbling method. 257's and 338's. I'm sure some got into the HP cavity but it did not affect group size or killing ability on plains game in Namibia.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in a big hurry for elk, and I just moly coated some TSXs with spray moly. It worked ok, I first cleaned them with detergernt, water, alcohol, drying.

That spray can really wreck a cookie sheet.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote