Find
Notify
Tools

Chrony questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I have a few questions regarding chronagraphs.

1) How much velocity does a high intensity cartridge (260, 7mm, etc) loose in the 3 meter distance between the muzzle and the chrony?

2) What type of extreme spreads and average deviations are good for big game hunting ammo?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
#1. About 10fps. Negligible for your purposes.

#2. An SD of about 20 is acceptable but we all strive for single digits.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) How much velocity does a high intensity cartridge (260, 7mm, etc) loose in the 3 meter distance between the muzzle and the chrony?

Depends on the bullets BC, but my Oehler 43 manual sayes in ten feet at 3000 fps a BC of .4 looses 9 and 3500 looses 8. A BC of .5 at 3000 is about 7 and 3500 about 6 fps. I was just reading this last night.

2) What type of extreme spreads and average deviations are good for big game hunting ammo?

As small as possible, single didgets if you can.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
1 -- The ten feet would be about right in my opinion. 2 -- I strive for single digits. Twice I have recorded a 0 Sum of the differences. Once with a Chrony and once with an Oehler, and with the same rifle. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I've been getting some loads in the single digits, so I will keep that in mind.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote