New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading the .240 weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don’t reload, and it is time to start learning. I have a friend here in town who is experienced and will mentor me.

I’d like to start with the .240 weatherby, pushing 100 grain Nosler partitions.

Does anyone have a accurate load for me to start with? Rifle is a weatherby Classic with a 26” barrel. Looking on noslers page, the most accurate load they suggest is with magnum powder, and is compressed. I don’t want a compressed load.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
then you'll need to use a faster powder.

just an FYI.
their 'most accurate' load is more likely a most consistent load for speed and internal pressures and not the most accurate on paper.
however loads that display those attributes will generally be the more accurate ones.

the full case of powder giving the highest velocity's and the most consistent deviations is one I would seriously consider if I were loading your round.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Why not a compressed load? As long as you're using good loading data, and work up the load in your gun, it's really not an issue at all.

I've run several magnums with compressed charge loads. Never been an issue for me.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of loads are compressed, nothing wrong with them.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Compressed loads are never an issue.

In fact, I prefer to have my optimum load slightly compressed.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Saeed on that. I don't like an air space in the case, it means the powder can set differently inside the case from shot to shot.

One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
I have always gotten the best accuracy with 95% fill to lightly compressed. With that in mind, some good powders would be H1000, H4831sc, IMR 7828ssc, RL22, and RL25. I haven't used the newer RL23 and RL26 yet, but they look good on paper.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the info. Most of the reloading manuals are always harping on on pressure signs, so I was wary of it.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
Thank you all for the info. Most of the reloading manuals are always harping on on pressure signs, so I was wary of it.

You should use l0ading manuals as guide only.

Lots of rubbishy is being written, for legal reasons.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for RL22 and RL25

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite load for two different .240Ws is 54gr R19 and 90gr Barnes or 95gr Nosler. I have a church member who uses a different powder ( don't remember) but always the Nosler 95gr Partition. He has killed some big bull elk with that load and wads of mule deer! Wicked little round...

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote