Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New to reloading and need help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Robt;

Just a note in case you are "really" new to reloading!

If you use an old rock tumbler, remember that the tumbling media for brass is "not" the same as the media for polishing rocks!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1st- Should you tumble before sizing and depriming?

2nd- after sizing, should the bullet fit partially in case? After sizing with Lee Pacesetter sizing die, the bullet does not fit in case mouth at all. How do I solve this problem, screw die in more?
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

1st- Should you tumble before sizing and depriming?

You can if you desire but I do not. I wipe the cases to remove soot and dirt from them and clean inside the necks with a brush. I then lube and resize, clean the primer pockets, trim and deburr if necessary and then tumble the cases.

Quote:

2nd- after sizing, should the bullet fit partially in case? After sizing with Lee Pacesetter sizing die, the bullet does not fit in case mouth at all. How do I solve this problem, screw die in more?

Unless you are doing cast bullets, generally no. The bullet should be a press fit in to the neck on most rounds. With cast you would use another die to expand the case mouth slightly to prevent shearing of the bullet when seated and is not usually necesary for jacketed bullets. The mouth should be chamfered to prevent the neck from being crushed or crumpled when seating the bullet.

Good luck

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I am taking this very slowly. I have been reading, but some advice is reassuring. As far as tublers go, will an old rock tumbler work just as well as the shaker type?
Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, an old rock tumbler works fine. Been there, done that.

A motorized ice cream maker works fine, too. Take out the paddle and run it on its side.

I DO tumble before I de-prime and resize. I don't want soot in my dies. I use fine corncob media. Never had a piece stick in a primer.

Best advice I got when starting out was to get 2 manuals and read them carefully.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Dave R...I tumble befor, For the same reason.
If I'm loading bulk. I'll tumble again to clean off the lube...beats all that time wiping it off. Then deburr if it needs it...then hit it with a brush and some midway mica in the neck.
Another Dave R

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Courtney...If I did'nt know better,I'd say that Britt was mine.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote