THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    lee turret w/ auto index? for pistol or other press

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lee turret w/ auto index? for pistol or other press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anyone use the Lee press with auto index? Is it suitable for what I want to do with it?
1.) Handgun ammunition only, mostly plinking loads
2.) I would like to resize, then clean primer pockets off press
3.) bell case mouths, charge with powder, seat and crimp
4.) Really looking for cheap way to increase speed of reloading 50-150 rounds of pistol ammo at a sitting than my current single stage press, with lee dippers

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Could you spring $121 for the Lee Progressive 1000? A little more that the turret but if you are loading up 150 rounds at a time you will be happy about 5 minutes into using it, when you already have most of a box loaded...

You also get dies with that, so you could either get an extra set of dies in your caliber or else another set in something else, so you can at least jstify the upgrade a little that way. It doesn't have a scale with it, and if you don't have one yet just set the measure to throw the charge that you use with your dippers.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<Chipola Creek>
posted
I've been using a Lee Turret auto-indexing press that I bought back in 1986 with an Auto-Disk Powder Measure to load pistol cartridges in everything from .380 to 10mm. and it works great. With extra turrets you can switch between calibers without screwing in and recaliberating different dies.

Although for loading rifle rounds and competition pistol rounds I use a RCBS Rock Chucker press - more out of a need to slow me down, than anything else.

------------------
Heaven is that moment just before dawn when you're on your tree stand or your boat fishing

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by penrod72:
does anyone use the Lee press with auto index? Is it suitable for what I want to do with it?

I have both a lee turret and a pro1000 and agree with Mark. If, you are loading 9mm, .45acp or similar.

If you decide on the turret, make sure you know how many operations (dies) you wish to do so you can get the 3 or 4 station turret as fits your needs.

My biggest disappointment with the turret and auto index was the interferrence of the old primers with installing the new primers. Also I don't care for the one at a time manual primeing. This won't matter to you if you continue to deprime and prime prior to loading on the turret.

I believe in checking the powder level on all rounds. With single stage, this means putting powder in all the cases in the loading block. Then looking in each case to insure the powder level is close.

When useing either the lee turret or the pro1000, I have been unable to see into a .38 special case well enough to tell if it has a target charge (2.7 grains of bullseye) of powder. Nothing less than a dillon 650 is really intended to handle powder checking in loads like the .38 spec target loads. It allows for a separate check die (rcbs makes a visual checker as well as a lock die).

Other 5 station presses use the fifth station (really station 3 is the powder measure station) so useing a check die takes some changeing.

Further, I have had poor luck in getting consistant light loads (less than 4.5 gr) from bullseye and 700x from the lee disk powder measure. This is contrary to (a heavier charge than) what lee list in their instructions. Tapping the measure 3 times to settle the powder into the disk or useing ww231 should take care of this, however.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Bobshouse>
posted
I also use the turret press with the auto advance for loading .357 ammo.

I clean and deprime all all my brass and reprime using the Lee hand primer before loading with the turret. I also use the factory crimp die and the Lee pro auto disk powder dispenser through the expander die.

I can load about 150 to 200 an hour comfortably. I prefer the turret to the progressive as I can keep an eye on things a little more closely. Afterall, when reloading becomes a job, I'll probably retire.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by penrod72:

penrod72,

I have used this very setup to do precisely what you outline. Matter of fact, we relieved ourselves of approximately 400 rounds [pistol] at the range yesterday.

Currently, I use it to for: .38/.357, 9mm, .380, .45, 30-06, & .300 WINMAG's (rifle). I have a high degree of satisfaction with this get up.

I use both the powder disks & autoloader interchangeably with the 3-hole turrets. It's accuracy is verified at the onset of each session because my confidence is skeptical in the Lee approach to adjusting (friction-based as opposed to precision-based adjustments).

I do find that the current three-holed turrets are inadequate because I have to radically alter process in order to accommodate the factory crimp die step. Second, I am too cheap to change them out because I purchased enough of the three hole to adapt all of my die sets and now do not wish to spend more $$$$.

Other than that, it is good enough for me. My next purchase however shall be based upon me considering the Lee Progressive versus Dillon. It shall ultimately depend on the scale of economics of output & accuracy because I want to produce the most accurate rounds for the firearm or sidearm possible.

------------------
Best regards,
Alex

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<sed1945>
posted
I use the factory crimp die on My 454 Casull . I have the three main dies in my turret press and the crimping die in my Lee single stage press that is located next to it. all four dies are set up and ready to go. I can load them petty fast that way.

<mike357>
posted
i use the lee pro1000, and so far i havent i had too many complaints other than the priming system. like was said i use the three dies then have a single stage setup with the fcd. the extra three hole turrets are a must if you change calibers much. i built several extra turrets to keep all my sets of dies set-up at all times.sometimes it pays off to be a machinist.

<sed1945>
posted
I have all my three die sets on their own turrets also. Each one has their own Auto-Disk Powder Measures. I only have to change the whole unit on the press and I'm good to go. my question is, at $10 a turret retail, Why make them? I load about 35 different rifle and pistol calibers and a use Lee equipment exclusively, except for a Lyman auto scale. I load thousands of rounds every year and have never worn out a peace of Lee Equipment. Even if I did their inexpensive to replace. Like the saying go's "Least is More" or KISS "Keep it simple stupid"

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
sed1945,

I make many things that would be cheaper (and possibly slightly better) to have purchased retail. I don't want to second guess mike357's thoughts, but his may be similar to mine....

Or you could interpret the statement "sometimes it pays off to be a machinist" to mean that his boss doesn't spend a lot of time on the shop floor!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<mike357>
posted
right on, mark!
i like to build stuff just because i can. there is a certain amount of pride in seeing something you've built work.i work for a large company and i have an understanding boss. i run a cnc mill(with long cycle times) and have a bridgeport and engine lathe next to me plus several other cnc's around. i have done many gun projects at work. my plant manager found out about my gun work thru a guy he was firing. the manager's words were " as long as his machine is running, i dont care if he crochets or knits"

[This message has been edited by mike357 (edited 10-07-2001).]

<sed1945>
posted
Ok! I stand corrected, I forgot about the fun factor of doing it yourself. I have a great idea though, instead of copying parts, why not design and build a better loading system then the Lee Turret press, and at a lower price? Just an idea. Myself personally, I can not see how it can be done. Prove me wrong. Is this a challenge? Maybe. :O) P.S I for one would buy it.