New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOT Loads - I found the tool!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a Harbor Freight flier(#161-1) in the mail today. Flipped through it and what should I see, but the exact tool needed to determine a REALLY HOT LOAD.

And to make it even better, the tool is "On Sale" at 50% Off. clap

So, I'd encourage anyone to get one of these Tools(super wham-o-dyne Thingy) who responds to the threads that have titles such as, "Anybody got a HOT Load for my Hunting trip tomorrow?, What is a "good" REALLY HOT LOAD for a xx-06Magnum??", or the old "I'm only 8gr above Book MAX, do you think it is a HOT Load???".

The answer to all those questions can be determined with a "Non-Contact Pocket Thermometer"(Lot No. 93983). On Sale for $9.99, which is 50% Off the normal price of $19.99.

With it, you can determine what actually is a really HOT Load and impress your friends and buddies. rotflmo BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made a hot load fixture today.

Then facilities came into the lab with a laser thermometer and said that I was getting the ceiling too hot and was in danger of setting off a fire sprinkler.

14kW is hard to get rid of.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If in doubt of a Hot Load , just give it to one of your shooting buddy's !. So you lose a few cents on that reload , better their gun than your own Right !. Hopefully it's the guy who is always borrowing your stuff but never replacing it !.
They're never to eager to borrow after a case separation !.

No wonder nobody likes my reloads !. rotflmo rotflmo troll

Just kidding !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Well, being one of the "cautious", timid, lipstick & pink panties types who likes somewhat light loads rather than the real screamers, I NEVER use compressed loads.....
.....I usually find loading C-4 just to the base of the neck is "hot" enough...... patriot

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it mean you've been shooting hot loads when you have to put a piece of scotch tape over the new primer to hold it in your next reload? bewildered

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I found a hot load in one of our generator control cabinets. It had 115,000 volts running into the control room.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

.....I usually find loading C-4 just to the base of the neck is "hot" enough...... patriot

clapCome on,AC; get with the drill. You know you have to press that C-4 down pretty good to make sure it fills the case. nillyroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The answer to all those questions can be determined with a "Non-Contact Pocket Thermometer"(Lot No. 93983). On Sale for $9.99, which is 50% Off the normal price of $19.99.

Non-contact? How do they do with breech temps? I seem to notice my breech is the 1st place that gets warm when things heat up, I can feel the pressures rise....... shocker

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i tried to find hot women that was but just got slapped Cool Eeker banana

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Does it mean you've been shooting hot loads when you have to put a piece of scotch tape over the new primer to hold it in your next reload? bewildered

no, the proper technique is to start with a case that uses a small rifle primer, then on the second load in that case use a large pistol primer, then large rifle, so on and so forth until it will no longer hold a 50 bmg primer, thats when the tape comes into play. Big Grin

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
...I can feel the pressures rise... shocker
I can see where that Method is just as accurate as a HSGS! nilly
-----

I'm really surpried that denton, alf and tater-tot have not combined their infinite wisdom to "devise" a new Never Fail Method of Developing Reloads by using one of these fine Super Thingys. Of course based on the Internal Combustion Engine, or perhaps a Steam Engine. Come to think of it, they do seem to get steamed up a bit from time to time. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote