Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
Does anybody make a die that crimps the full neck. Kinda like necksizing with the bullet seated.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taper crimp dies are available from the die mfgs. Redding makes some for rifle cartridges as well as handgun.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Lee Factory Crimp Die......It is not a taper crimp though.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
sorry I see you wrote the full neck now. I don't know of anything.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I hate to ask but, why?

The operation you are talking about would mildly resize the bullet. Is there a neck thickness problem?

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
No. Just trying to get the most uniform release possible and to hold the bullet as straight as possible.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
That's reasonable. I was afraid i was some off the wall concept.

I've found that trimming and good seating gives a bullet with less run out. Length trimming generally squares the neck, this helps with keeping the bullet straight.

As far as "good" seating there are two things here, some seating dies push at the tip of the bullet and the tip can wander around in it, some push more out on the ogive and center the bullet as it seats. Another thing to try is seat the bullet so that it starts then turn it 180 degrees and finish seating it.

This might help, might not. I know some release issues can be fixed with crimping and anealing. I don't crimp for rifle and I haven't annealed either so I can't offer much more help. Crimp can also help with pressure and powder ignition.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any seater dies of the type you are wondering about made for a specific case...BUT...you can have one made by CH4D just by specifying what you want and the dimensions...PLUS CH4D has bushing type dies for larger calibers/bushings than Redding and the other die makers.

AND...you can use a bushing neck sizer die with the appropriate size bushing to do the same thing...depending on the size of the cartridge neck...but you have to have a locking screw fir the bushing made so the bullet will poke through.

Basically you only need a short section crimped that way and the taper crimpers are adjustable within a short distance.

It is much easier to set up for a custom case with a turned neck than for factory chamber/case because of the wide variation in sizes...the other "problem" is many cartridges have a tapered neck to begin with, usually on the order of about 0.001" taper from mouth to neck junction, and factory sizers usually follow this dimension, but not always.

All you really need to do is make a chamber cast, measure the neck, turn your brass necks for concentricity and uniformity and use a taper or Lee factory crimp die and call it good.

For all intents and puposes you might gain a small amount in accuracy, but the rifle system has to be "Blueprinted" to perfection to see it.

You have a good idea and it is fairly simple to implement if you think about it hard enough, but the application reasons/needs/requirements must be explored fully also. tu2 Cool Big Grin

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For all intents and puposes you might gain a small amount in accuracy, but the rifle system has to be "Blueprinted" to perfection to see it.

Yep, that would only help on a benchrest rifle.

It sounds like you are working to reduce your "runout". I suggest you search posts by "woods" he's the real expert on case prep and reducing runout.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Thanks again AS maybe I should put you on speed messaging.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, us crazy guys who shoot the big 7's got to look out for each other. Wink

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote