New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand Loading for Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, I know this could go to the reloading page, or big bore page but I brought it here as I think there will be more experienced posters on this page. With that said I do not do my own loading but have friend who does the reloading and he is good. The problem is he dosen't do a lot of loading for rifles to use different bullets and hit same point of impact. With that said he has loaded 416 Taylor with Barnes solids 400 gr. and when zeroed at 100 yds it groups very good, the Barnes X 400 gr. group 4" higher and group very good. What do we need to do to bring the 2 to the same point of impact.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
There diff bullets they would not have the same POI using the same powder charge

Start by changing the grs of powder, maybe the primer

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figured as much, I was looking for some one that had experience loading for the 416 Taylor. Thanks.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave them alone !. If they both TRULY GROUP WELL !? and are at just different POI .

Just make note for your sight adjustment .

If you really want to change powder or charge weight then take the advice already given . I wouldn't my self .

I shoot several calibers , in particular .338 Laupa and WinMag are two I'll use . I had a similar situation except I used two different guns as well as slight cartridge differences .

A superb load in each excellent groups , a different projectile POI different in both .

Went up and down on charge weight opened groups by 1.5"- 3.25" at 100 yd. . Went back reloaded my original loadings square one . Great groups different POI .

I adjusted while sighting everybody was happy as all my shots off a bench stayed inside 1.25" with both guns . That's #5 per round X #3 for a total of 16 , 15 counted shots one fowler .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Die Ou Jagter,

Can't bring you experience with the .416 Taylor ... my apologies.

The only reason I can see for a solid in the .416 calibers is Elephant. My experience with the 350 gr Barnes X from a .416 Rigby would indicate that the 400 gr Barnes X has plenty of penetration for anything other than El. I got over 6 foot of penetration on a Cape Buffalo (including destroying the right femur).

If Elephant is the intended target with the solids ... then you should worry about the coincidence of impact point at much shorter range ... like 10 to 25 yards. In that range, I suspect you're fine! You won't notice a significant issue at all.

I'd just set up for the 100 yard impact point with the x bullet and understand the ballistics for longer ranges for all of the other animals you're going after. I'd also make sure I knew where the fella is shooting at short range for the El.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd echo what mstarling has to say. When I was getting my 416 Howell and 425 Express ready for an elephant hunt with plains game in the offing, I worked on three loads: a 400gr soft, a 400gr solid, and a 350gr soft in both rifles.

I worked up loads for the solid and for the soft in 400gr separately, keeping all my targets. When I got the velocity I wanted, I compared targets and used the soft and solid that were closest together closest to my ideal velocity (2400fps).

My plains game load was a totally separate endeavor because we were not going to be hunting plains game in the elephant venue. When I got to the plains game area, I re-zeroed and went hunting. As mentioned elsewhere, I used the 400gr solid for dik dik because it doesn't tear the animal up and it was already zeroed for 50yds. (It worked out my 350gr load and 400gr load worked with the same sight settings.) Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 notable successes in getting rifles to shoot 2 different bullets to about the same point of impact. In both cases, the same powder charge, primer and case was used with bullets of equal weight made by the same manufacturer.

1. A 375 H&H Magnum with Hornady 300 gr. FMJ RN and Hornady 300 gr. BT Spire Points.
2. A 30/06 with Barnes 168 gr. TSX and 165 gr. Banded Solids.

If they're available in .416 caliber, I would have your friend load Barnes TSX bullets (rather than the plain old X bullets) and Barnes Banded Solids of the same weight over the same powder charge.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Yes the big one is on the hunt thus the solid. The loads I refered to were TSX and Banded solids. My error in that I have not tried the solids at 25 yds which is probably more germain to the elephant hunt. The TSX will be used for Hippo and Croc unless the PH says solids in which case maybe resighting will be necessary. The plan is to do the elephant first and basically be done with the solids, but if he says solids for Hippo and Croc then well I guess the TSX will stay at home. This is just part of the fun in getting ready for Africa. The little guys (pygmy antelope) will be done with drilling 9.3 X 72 R & 16 ga buck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Die Ou Jagter ----- When I loaded for my .416 Rem and Africa I discovered one thing that got my solids and softs to the same POI. When I used my bullet seater die for both, the solids (whose shape was different on the front) were quite a bit further out or extended compared to the softs. I used my .416 Rigby die and set it to seat the solid much further into the cartridge which was about the same as the softs. Then the solids and softs printed within .5 in of the same at 50 yards consistently. They served me well on my Buffalo hunt in the Selous. You might look at this. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote