Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on GS Custom Bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
After their super fast delivery I am in fact impressed with their service. I will be shooting the 330 gr in my 416 WBY. What are your opinions about accuracy and on game performance?

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great accuracy from the .375 270gr flat nose solids, and the 130gr HV hollow points in my .308. I've taken a fair lot of game with the .375, from Warthog right up to Eland. Never recovered a bullet, not even one I quartered into a running Eland. I hit him just ahead of the left hip, and the bullet exited just ahead of the right shoulder.

I haven't had a chance to use the 130gr .308's on game yet, but I see no reason to believe that they won't work extremely well. These ARE premium bullets.

Strangely, my Husqvarna .220 Swift steadfastly refuses to group the 40gr hollowpoints. The group looks more like a cylinder bore pattern. I discussed this with Gerhard, and he says that this was a problem with his bullet and the very long throats on the Husqvarna. I gave up on those bullets as a result, although I would have LOVED to see what a 40gr hollowpoint monolithic does to a Jackal at 4100 fps!!!

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Pop, I am a great fan of their bullets, and bought quite a few from their former distributor. However, I strongly recommend against playing "postal roulette" through the mail from South Africa.

The novelty of waiting for bullets wears off pretty fast. The new triple-x is "close enough" for most big game hunting I do. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rikkie,
Good to hear you are still hunting. I recently had another customer in the shop with a Husqvarna 220 Swift. We used the 60gr HV (24mm long) to try and measure the leade on that one and could not get it into the lands and grooves. Strange that they would make it so long. The twist on his rifle is also too slow to stabilise anything over the length of the 40gr HV (16.5mm) I solved the feeding problem with Jani's 220 Swift by rechambering it to a wildcat (we call it 22x64) and pushing the speed up to 4700fps in the process. Now we use necked down 270 cases and the lack of the slight rim on the 220 Swift gives flawless feeding from the Mauser action. I have never enjoyed a rifle as much as this one on blesbuck and springbuck. It is like an extention of thought. Maybe we should put a reamer into that Husky of yours and really scare the Jackal population.

Dutch,
Much has changed since the postal roulette caused by anti terrorist legislation worldwide two years ago. We have found over the last year that systems appear to have stabilised and we have lost only four parcels in the last six months. Two by Canada Mail, one by USPS and one was returned by the German postal service and remailed. This amounts to less than one percent.

Of all the parcels we lost since 9/11, we now know that the majority were lost by the postal services at destination. Overall the indication is that you are now just as likely to have a parcel go missing if it is mailed within your country of residence. If you wish to avoid postal roulette, you should not order anything by mail, domestic or foreign.

One caveat: As with domestic mail in any country, foreign mail also suffers from Christmas Rush. Avoid sending parcels after 15 November and before the 1st of January.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

Now that you mention it, I am seeing clear signs of erosion on the chamber side of my rifling While I have a HUGE stock of 60gr V-Max on hand, and I'm still hitting ground squirrels at distances I can hardly see them with the naked eye, I think I'll just carry on wearing my barrel out. As soon as I stop connecting with those pesky squirrels, I guess I'll HAVE to make an appointment with either yourself or my optometrist

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote