THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1:9 twist .223 - accuracy load/best bullet?
 Login/Join

posted
can anyone advise what might be the most accurate round/load for my new rifle - its a model 70 coyote .223 with 24" barrell 1:9 twist, i've currently tried h4895 with 50gn vmax and can get sub moa easily with 26, 26.5 and 27gn loads which is fine for hunting. i would really like to develop something really accurate/consistent for target work - any advice on bullet/powder to start with?

Posts: 1 | Location: hungerford, England | Registered: 11 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your 1:9 twist gives you great versatility. Anything from 40 to 75 grains ought to work. The exception would be the more frangible varmint bullets like the Hornady SPSX, which may be torn apart by the rpms from the fast twist.

What range will you be target shooting at? The heavier bullets will work much better at the longer ranges. If you're closer in, the lighter bullets will work, but at extended ranges look to use the 69 grain and heavier bullets.

For serious target work, I'd limit the choices to Sierra, Hornady, and Berger.

Does this help?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks...
while I did not do place the initial post... your answer helped me.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Mine shoots about anything with stellar accuracy...including the bullets weights up to 80 grains...

75 and 80 grain bullets will double your range potential...

mid range burn rate powders work well with those latter bullet weights...

W 748, RL 15, Varget, IMr 4064, IMR 4895, IMR 3031, H 322, IMR 4320....

whatever is available on the shelves over in England...or the ADI equivalents, if Australian powders are distributed over in Europe...

Any of the appropriate Vitavouri powders should work very well also..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both my 1/9 .223s shoot well with almost any bullet from 52 grains to 80 grains but my bolt gun does best with 64 grain Bergers pushed by N-135. The AR likes Sierras around the same weight and N-540.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote