New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 case troubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hope you all are well? I am highly pissed off to say the least. I recently purchased locally manufactured Impala factory loaded cartridges for testing. The bullet is a 110gr brass mono and claimed velocity for the 7x57 is 2850fps. After firing 40 rounds to see how well they grouped I was very impressed with the accuracy. Around an inch with open sights at 50m. To cut a long story short I cleaned the cases and lubed them, ready to reload them.( I hate lubing cases!) I set up my Lee Sizing Die and was all ready to begin sizing when to my horror the bloody cases dont fit the shell holder, also Lee. I have until now only used PMP cases and ALL of them would fit. The headstamp of these Impala cases reads 7x57 PPY? Even an unfired round wont fit the shell holder. Do certain manufacturers make different size case rims and or shell holders for the 7x57? What do I do with these cases now? I feel like lining them up at 50m and shooting them with my .22! Big Grin

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7*57 has a .476" rim but many makes the brass from the same as 3006 .373.
Messure the rim to see.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a shell holder specifically for the Euro version of the 6.5x55 Swede try it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi lal,

As Nordic2 said. You must get a RCBS n° 11 shell holder, I think they sell it for the .257 Roberts. Or a shell holder for the .220 Swift. Both will work with the CIP Standard (original or european) 7x57.

Good luck

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen, I thought that shell holders for a certain caliber would all be the same dimensionally. I will buy the RCBS as suggested by PatagonHunter. Will this work in a Lee press though? Have others experienced similar problems with Lee shell holders and Euro spec factory ammo in this caliber?

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
If you have a shell holder specifically for the Euro version of the 6.5x55 Swede try it.

oldI think this is the way to go, from LEE. Mine works on all 6.5 x55 Euros tu2roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is fairly common. In the US, they use the basic 30-06 case to make most cases, both european and domestic; in Europe, they use the basic 8x57 brass in the same manner.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

The .30-06 inherited the head dimentions of the 8x57. Practically the same. But the 7x57 head and rim dimentions ARE NOT THE SAME!!
The 8x57 was not designed by Mauser. The first Mauser designed smokeless cartridge and, perhaps, the BEST ONE even by today standards was the 7,65x54 for the Belgian/Turkish/Argentine Mausers. An absolutely "modern" round!!! And best adapted for the powders of that time.
The 7x57 Mauser, the second Mauser designed cartridge, shares the head/rim dimentions, almost the same, with the 7,65x54 Mauser, NOT THE 8X57´s !!!

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would the Lee Shell Holder for the 6.5x55 Swede work with the Euro spec 7x57 case?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
Would the Lee Shell Holder for the 6.5x55 Swede work with the Euro spec 7x57 case?

Roll EyesMy PRVI 6.5 x 55 and 7.5 X 54 MAS cases have a rimm dia. of .480 and fit nicely in my Lee shell holder.
tu2 The dimensions in Cartridges of the World Euro sporting cartridges also bare this out. I think it would be a wise investment ; less than a pack of cigarettes. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Lee has listed the correct shell holder for a 7 x 57mm Mauser is Lee #2. RCBS shell holder will fit Lee press.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi lal,

The rim diam. of the 6,5x55 is greater than the European CIP 7x57. Better to find a RCBS Nº 11 shell holder. Or a Lyman Nº 8 (old number). I use this one, the Lyman for my RWS 7x57 cases and works great! I don´t know wich is the current number of that Lyman Shell holder.

Good luck

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi lal,

Lyman current number is Nº 5.

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee 6.5x55 #3.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SPOT ON craigster tu2 Bought the Lee No3 Shell Holder and they worked like a charm. Now I can load ALL brands of cases, I hope...
Thanks for all the help guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good, lal! Actually, the Lee Nº 3 is also the correct shell holder for the 7,65x54 so, also for the CIP Standardized 7x57.

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i remember rcbs showing the correct shell holder as number 3 or number 11.
though basically the same, some cases fit one better than the other.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote