THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Telling Pressure in a wildcat cartridge.
 Login/Join

posted
I understand more now about sings of high pressure.The problem i have is,if your shooting a wildcat and there's no factor load made in this cal.{.257 STW}how do you find a starting point to go from and know its a safe starting point?ANTHONY

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
A while back I coded a Powley Computer for use on the WWW. It runs from your browser. It has a few rough spots; someday I'll get back to it.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I understand more now about sings of high pressure.The problem i have is,if your shooting a wildcat and there's no factor load made in this cal.{.257 STW}how do you find a starting point to go from and know its a safe starting point?ANTHONY

I go along with what Nitroman said. When you see the signs, you are beyond the safe pressure. At the very least, you have ruined the case.

I use "Quickload" to find a ceiling pressure and the predicted MV @ that pressure for a particular powder/bullet combination. "Quickload" has usually (not always) been very close in it's velocity/Load predictions.

Of course I back off 10% and work up, regardless of the powder charge, if I can get a MV close to that velocity/pressure prediction with no pressure signs, I will repeatedly load a few cases (5-10) with that load and check for reloadability. If I can get over 8-10 reloads without substantialy loosening up the primer pockets, and I get acceptable accuracy, I go with it, perhaps repeating the process with 1 more grain of powder @ a time until the reloadability diminishes to unacceptable levels.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote