New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate .17 Rem. load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have just bought a Sako .17 Rem and wondered if anyone has a good accurate and powerful load that they will share ?
Have the Hodgdon extreme powders , Winchester and Alliant readily available in Oz . Hornady and Berger projectiles easiest to obtain here .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25 gr H380 w/ 25 gr bullet - must use rem 7 1/2 primer in this round for best performance

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have just purchased mint second hand Rem 700 BDL .17 .

Given the mega high cost of ammo in Melbourne, AU$40 for 20 rounds, will be reloading.

Remington ( surprise ) appear to make brass. Lapua and some others do not- well I could not find a listing on their site/s which started at .22 cal.

Can anybody advise if who else makes quality brass, and bullets for this calibre.

Powder not a problem as ADI ( in Australia) make a full complement of powder for virtually all calibres.

Thanks in advance fo any assistance.

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can make brass for the 17 Rem from 222 Rem Mag cases. Seems like I saw [somewhere] Norma or Lapua made case for the 222 Mqg. Might be a good starting point but I have never had any problems with the old GREEN BOX stuff.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady makes great bullets. Woodchuck Den Kindler Golds work fantastic on Coyotes. Berger also makes killer bullets. Lots of Custom bullets out there also. N-135 is good. Varget for heavier bullets. Hodgen has a bunch of loads. My choices are 30 gr Golds for coyotes, 20gr V-maxs for foxes, 25 Grain Berger MEFs for punching paper and when splat is wanted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushchook: If you want accuracy and lethality on small game and Varmints be sure to give the 25 gr. Bergers a serious going over!
I use them in all of my 17 caliber centerfires including three 17 Remingtons!
H4895 powder works for two of them and IMR 4320 in the other.
Good luck with your load testing and your new Rifle!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushchook,

Try 22.0gr BM2 with 25gr Hornady for about 4000 fps or 23.0gr AR2208 for 3900fps with the same bullet. Cases are Rem with WSR primers. Start at least 0.5 gr below & work up as is normal good practice.

V8 last time I was at Horsley park gun shop they had heaps of .17 Rem Brass. Bullets - Hornady are pretty available, or you may have to order but usually not long to wait & Gold Coast Shooters Supply are always advertising Bergers in .17. Double the price of Hornady though & that is the SALE price.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John and Keith,

Thanks for the assistance.

It just may be that the gun store I use most of the time as it is geographically handy, does not stock what I want.

No doubt O'Reillys has , from past experience, a much wide range of choice , or some choice!

For target plinking , or shooting rabbits ( not foxes) is 250 metres an excessive distance for drop given the type of loads that have been mentioned.

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote