New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I"m thinking of trading in my .308 win for a 300 win mag, so what to I need to know?
For deer hunting, I still want to be using a 150 GR, or maybe a 165 GR, at around 3000fps,
but I"d like to be able to push 180 and 200"s as well.(I"m going after moose next year)
my main concerns are
(1) Is it harder to reload belted cases?
(I"ve always tried to neck size only on the 308)
(2) How does the average 300WM perform with bullets as light as 150/165?
(3) what does anyone think of the Remington SPS?(I know that one is off topic)
Any input appreciated,
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, despite popular belief, you can kill a big bull moose just fine with your .308. When I went to Maine, the guys that had actually killed moose all killed theirs with .308s, 270s, 30.06s.

But if you are set on a trade, then I'd stick with a 180 for everything and leave it at that. Hunters run into problems with 150s in a 300 on deer at close range.

My neighbor owns a 300 WBY (Just for comparison), and he shot a deer last year in KY with a 165 grain bullet (partition) at 80 yards. Hit it in the center of the lungs but never found it or more than a small streak of blood where the bullet exited.

Throw a 180 flat base bullet in your 308 and go shoot a moose.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 165 gr BTSP, 300WM is like standing 130 yards closer than a .308 for power.

The 300WM takes 550 yards to drop to 2000 fps.
The .308 takes 420 yards to drop to 2000 fps.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Put some 180's in the 308 and go moose hunting.

Or if you do go with the 300 just get some 180's and don't look back. You'll be covered for anything on this continent.

You can neck size 300 win cases same as for a 308.

I shot one moose with a 308 win and 165 barnes X boatails. They chronied 2660 and worked just fine.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
My favorite rifle is a Winchester Model 70 in 300 WM. My favorite load is a 200 grain Barnes X. I push it with 72.5 grains of H 4831 and it does 2600 fps. I like it for one reason, EVERYTHING I HAVE SHOT WITH IT FALLS DOWN AND DIES INSTANTLY !!!!

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the .300 Win Mag very easy to reload for. I generally partially resize brass for all rifles, but don't think neck sizing for a .300 is any different than for a .308. One thing you need to be careful with is that belted mags are build to size of the belt, so you sometimes get one with a generous (long) chamber. If you full length size your brass, you can can potentially get head separation earlier on a belted vs. non belted case because the case will stretch more to fill the chamber upon firing.

I have killed some deer & antelope with 150 & 165 standard bullets in .300 Win Mag and .300 Weatherby. Bullet action is definitely explosive, but I have not had any penetration issues, just a lot of blood shot meat, so I lean towards heavier bullets. If you go with more stoutly constructed bullets, it should solve the problem.

I don't have a 700 SPS, but it's the same action as other 700s with a different stock. If it feels good to you, it will work fine.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
I"m thinking of trading in my .308 win for a 300 win mag, so what to I need to know?

That you won't regret it.

For deer hunting, I still want to be using a 150 GR, or maybe a 165 GR, at around 3000fps,

A 168 gr TSX can be easily pushed to 3275 fps, at least in the seven 300 win mag I load for

but I"d like to be able to push 180 and 200"s as well.(I"m going after moose next year)

Just use the 180's and 200's for all your hunting, like they say "you can eat right up to the hole"

my main concerns are
(1) Is it harder to reload belted cases?
(I"ve always tried to neck size only on the 308)

No

(2) How does the average 300WM perform with bullets as light as 150/165?

A little squirrelly, at least in my guns. More fliers, less accuracy, the twist rate of most 300 win mags will overstabilize the bullet and velocities will vary more with small inconsistancies in powder charge, seating depth, neck thickness, etc.

(3) what does anyone think of the Remington SPS?(I know that one is off topic)

Remingtons are good guns and the SPS should be a good performer. This might be a good one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=54177707 This might be more accurate http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=54121373

Any input appreciated,
good shooting

Not trying to be argumentative, but it always strikes me the wrong way when someone want to shoot a 150 grain bullet out of a 300 win mag. But then I am a charter member of DeGroot's Heavy Bullet Mafia salute

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your .308 is a shooter keep it and get yourself a .300wm.I assume you have shot a .300wm before? be aware of considerable more recoil unless you get a heavy gun to soak some of it up.If you can shoot a friends. My rem sendero with heavy varmiter barrel wieghs approx 11.5 # With scope or load 150 gr accubonds and 76grains of rl 22 to decrease recoil in a lighter gun .Reloading for my rem .300 win mag is easier than any of my other guns . It shoots anything I stuff in it at less than 1 in.I've tried most all meothds neck sizing , full length,150 gr to 180 gr they all work good .I just would not like to tote it too far .And like the other guys said Your .308 will work just fine especialy if its a shooter ,mine does .
Wayles

Posts: 57 | Location: western nebraska | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget the lighter bullets and load the 180gr. for everything. My favorite load for MY Model 70 is 75gr. Rl22 underneath 180gr Nosler Protected Point Partition.

Posts: 52 | Location: Pierce County Washington | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are you don't need a magnum, get a 30-06 if your .308 doesn't satisfy you. If you must have a 300WM, I agree with boomer's recommendation to forget the lighter weight bullets. In a magnum, I'm a heavy bullet for caliber guy.
I like the 200 grn Nosler Partition in my 300 WM a gun that I've had since 1989 that I've always called "Boomer". Started out with a 22" ported barrel (hense the name)... quickly got tired of ported barrels, now it's got a 24" barrel, still call it Boomer though.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Brass Thief, Load your 308 with 150 Hornady IBs and anywhere from 45.5-47grs. RE15, 9 1/2 primers and Rem. brass, and you'll have an outstanding Moose gun. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rechambered from 06 to 300Win because the headspace got loose. No regrets at all.

Only two things I've noticed. The 300 eats a whole lot more powder.

Second thing, I'd shot CoreLokt 180's for yrs on elk and they did well.

First one I shot with the 300 and 180 C/L's was at 200yds and it hit perfectly in the ribs. Knocked the cow down. When she stopped sliding down the steep hill in a foot of snow. She got up and took off!!

After killing her with another shot and a finish up shot with the pistol. That first bullet blew up on the surface. Hell of a hole, three ribs long and two inch's wide. But, no entry, not even into the near lung. There was little bitty pcs of jacket in the tissue showing it had blown up badly.

After not getting any response from Rem. I've changed to Sierra's 200gr. Have yet to shoot game with one, so can't say what the change will be. But, I've got full confidence that anything 200 yards will have full penetration.

My guns got a 26" barrel and weigh's 11#. I carry it everywhere and don't have a sling to my name on anything.

My arms are longer than my height by four inch's. I just tell everyone when my knuckles start dragging the ground, I change hands!

These bigger calibers were intended to shoot the heavier bullets faster. Of course they'll shoot the lighter bullets even faster yet.

Thing about them blowing up meat. What the hell you doing shooting them in the meat anyway??? That's what the ribs are for!!

Wish you well,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brass Thief: If you want to trade your .308 for a .300 Win that's your business/pleasure. Do as you like. I'm sure that you're aware that both can be used successfully for the same class of game, just as you're aware that the magnum will do the same thing further away and can better utilize heavier bullets that are commensurate with heavier game.

If you want to use 150's for smaller game that's just fine, but doesn't offer much advantage. I use a 180 Nosler Partition in my .300 Win for all purposes (but since I'm fortunate to have a number of other rifles it doesn't see much use for game smaller than elk). If you enjoy working up a variety of loads, then there's nothing wrong with having a 150 or 165 for your smaller deer and a 180 or even 200 for moose.

Belted cases are MUCH BETTER loaded using only neck or "partial full-length" sizing as belted chambers tend to be rather generous and FL sizing greatly overworks the case. There is essentially no fundamental difference or additional difficulty in loading a belted case as compared to a .308.

Have fun.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I hunted for years with a Savage 99 in 308, killed lots of deer and bears. Then I switched to a 270, bolt gun, I loved it and never picked up the 99 again. 4 years ago I bought a 300win, I should have bought one 35 years ago, the best all around cartridge I have ever used, hell I even shoot some PD's with it each summer. For me it is the perfect cartridge.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brass thief-
The whole 30 calibre family is about as good as things get for riflemen. Be advised that the 300 Win mag isn't a step up from the 308, it's about three steps up and will recoil accordingly. Moreover, it will do with 180s what you are asking the 308 to do with 150s.

With that said, I recommend you keep the 308, and get the 300 Win mag, thus you will have the long and short of thing covered.