Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 load for a 16" bbl
 Login/Join

posted
Am relatively new to reloading, 2 years, loading for my .45 ACP on a dillon 550.

Got a 16" bbl .308 and wanna work up a good load for a 150 grain bullet.

My concerns are loss of muzzle velocity and muzzle flash in low light shooting due to the short bbl, any help appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

Stupid should hurt.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbken, you might consider about 34gr. IMR 4198 at 2400 fps or there abouts. 680 might be another good choice. When the barrels start getting that short something will be sacraficed.The slower burning powders for that cartridge are what to look at. sofaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
W-748 From 45.2 grains to 49.0 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
I like using IMR-3031 in my 18.5" .308 with 150 grain bullets. Muzzle flash is not bad especially when compared to loads with Ball-C and I get good velocity and accuracy. My chronograph shows me getting in the low 2700's with worked up loads.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results in several 18 and 20" 308's with 150 grain bullets and 42 grains of IMR 3031.
With 165 AND 180 grain bullets I use 39.5 grains of IMR 3031.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that you will have a problem finding a powder that will work in a 16" barrel, give good velocity, and little if any muzzle flash and blast. You want to work with the faster powders, and if you can, lighter bullets and faster powders. Essentially, you have to burn all the powder in the 16" and still get your desired muzzle velocity. If it is a semi-auto, you have to stay within the range of the gas operating system too. good luck. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Either blue dot or SR 4759.

both will burn the powder within the first 14 or so inches in any barrel. You did not state what kinda velocity you were looking for or expecting.

What the range is and what you plan on shooting with it would play a part in me making a recommendation.
Is it for target shooting or taking game?

cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
To minimize muzzle blast, you'll want to use as little powder as possible, and that means using as fast a powder as possible for the fps you desire. Without knowing what fps you want, it's hard to say which powder to use. The fastest powders I can find loads for are Alliant's load of 25.0 gn 2400 and IMR's loads of 27.5 gn 4759 and 26.0 gn of 4227. The speeds ran 2200-2300 fps, so these may not work for you, and of course, your wee 16" member will cost you well over 100 fps.

For max speed, use the powder which gives you max speed in the longer, std. test barrels. Muzzle flash and blast ought to be impressive with 46 odd grains of powder!

I once had a fascination with short barrels. I still have a 16" .223 T/C Carbine. Even with muffs on over ear plugs, it is not pleasant to shoot. The short barrel means low expansion ratio which means high muzzle pressure. Worse, the short barrel means all that pressure is being vented that much closer to your ear. The shortest barrel I'll buy these days is 26" -- much lower pressure much farther away.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerSaturday at the range a man was shooting a short barrel Savage .308 and was using 25 grains of Hercules 2400 with a 150 grain Sierra bullet.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote