Find
Notify
Tools

SSP bullets in the 7.62 x 39
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
Will the 135 gr. Sierra Single Shot Pistol bullet and the Hornady 130 gr. Single Shot pistol bullet hold up to about 2000 fps with the 7.62 x 39 in the Mini MK X Rifle? It will be used on smallish to medium White Tail Deer. I have a quantity of these left over and thought they might be of good use in the Mini MK X.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I think you'll be okay using the Single Shot Pistol bullets in your 7.62X39 m/m rifle. Your velocity will be in the neighborhood of 2,300 to 2,400 FPS.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping that being as they are SSP bullets (in a 20 inch barrel) they will behave somewhat like a Ballistic Tip (or similar bullet) and open up pretty good but not fly apart.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I have shot the Nosler BT's and the Sierra "pistol" bullet with good accurate results in my little Sako 7.62 x 39. Even the 150 grain Nosler's perform very well on Deer sized game.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice Sako Rifle. Did you have it rebarreled or is Sako chambering rifles in 7.62 X 39 m/m?? In my Ruger Model 77 MKII; I used 150 grain (Silvertips made for the .30-30) and used 23.5 grain of IMR-4198. Shot several Ky. Deer with this load, and all were one shot kills.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote