Find
Notify
Tools

Range brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
A post about "How do you store it" prompted this post.

How do I store my brass? Depends on the caliber.

I belong to the largest gun club in Pa, over 5,000+ members, so range brass, is always available. Of course, its usually the most common calibers. 30-06, 30-30, 223, 308, 7mm mag, 270, & 45ACP brass, I sort by head stamp and it goes into 5 gallon buckets.

Anything that looks like it was reloaded before goes into the scrap bucket. I have had a couple negative experiences with case head separations with unknown brass. The first time I thought it was a fluke, the second time, lesson learned!

My other calibers, 375 H&H, 45LC, 357 mag, 41 mag are stored in original boxes or MTM plastic loading boxes.

Less frequent finds, like 7mm-08, 22-250 etc., go into plastic zip lock bags and are given to friends that shoot these calibers but are too lazy to look for or pick up range brass.

Most of what I find is 223 (the young guys just love their AR's) followed by 06 and 270. Surprisingly the cartridge I find the least of is 308.

On rare occasions I have found boxes of 416. 375, and the WSM calibers. All of which go to friends.

I will take the scrap brass to the recyclers about once a year, or when the buckets get in my way. Lat trip was worth *1.85/lb. I think its down now around $1.30

So are you a picker? Or do you just leave it lay?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a picker as well but do not see anywhere near the volume you see. I wish 45-120 and 450-400-3" would show up (you have to have a dream). I pick once fired brass only as you mention.

Rifle calibers cannot be found unless it is 7.62x39 Berdan primed. I think many folks at the club reload. Pistol is typically .40 with the 9mm and 45 ACP coming in second.

I use the Ziploc bag storage system for pistol brass and MTM type cases for rifle brass.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i pick up range brass when i get a chance..... most of what i find on the ground is 9mm brass but occasionally i will find some .357 magnum or .38 spl brass which is what i need.... like you guys i sort by headstamp and inspect it but i will use brass that may have been reloaded if it's in good shape.... my .38 spl loads are really pretty light so i don't worry too much about blowing up my n-frame smith...... i store brass in gallon ziplock bags......

democrat or american... choose wisely...................................................