New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rockdock reloading setups...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are any of you guys using one of Pat Marlin's Rockdocks for your reloading presses? Pat offers a "U" shaped station you bolt to your benchtop that flat plates slide into that are sized for various single stage or progressive presses. When not in use, one can be swapped out for another set up.
With the conversion/remodel of my gunroom I ended up with only a 60-inch bench. I somehow own six SDB's, two 550B's, an RCBS A4, and a Hornday 366.

For those of you who have not yet seen one: www.castboolets.com. Go to the Vendor section and find Pat Marlin.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

This is a more direct access: http://www.patmarlins.com/

I've been working on a similar setup for my bench, except my system makes use of bolts and wingnuts. I'll post pictures, if, and when I get it worked out.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, there has to be a better way than shuffling them back and forth on the strong mounts.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Mr. Marlin's system may be the best way to do it, so I don't want to take anything away from it...

But I've had great luck simply using a metal plate (1/4" thick steel for example) as the work surface and drilling and tapping holes for my various attachments (Maybe that's what Bill has in mind). That way when the device is removed you still have a smooth/flat work surface. I've even used bolts with wingnut heads so if the device doesn't exert a lot of force (like a trimmer) you can just hand tighten the bolts to speed things up. Having lots of different configurations is as simple as drilling and tapping extra holes.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've been happily using that concept on two different benches for years. It seems like a "no-brainer" to me.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have one of his systems, with two progressive presses, three different types of sizer lubricator, and one single stage press. I have no complaints. I do have to loosen the machine screws on the sides a good bit to get the plate-with-mounted-press out.

Built into his system is a shelf to put a heating element (eg clothing iron retired from my wife's service) so one can use harder lubricants. I have not used that.

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 2 of his system bases and swap out -here goes- LnL Progressive, RockChucker, Forstner Co-Ax press and 2 powder measures.

Kick myself in not thinking of the system myself but have to say it does work as advertised. Only tweak needed is to slightly loosen up base when swapping stuff around. I suspect it is due to a slight warp of the surface of the bench I have it mounted to.

My next bench will probably have the aluminum tracks that one can use with T-bolts to slide components around on the bench. If nothing else, for the coolness factor of having those pretty red or gold tracks in grooves routed or dadoed into the surface. No better reason.

Gary

posted Hide Post
Lee has a set up like this also,looks easy to build.

Posts: 3 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote