Find
Notify
Tools

Load data question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted
I'm a relatively inexperienced reloader, so any help or guidance is appreciated.

I'm reloading my 416 rigby, I have Hornady 400 grain solids. I don't have the powders on hand that the Load data from Hornady specs out. Would you think I'm safe using a powder listed from the Speer loads with the Hornady bullet? I happen to have several of the powders listed for Speer, but as we all know, Speer doesn't make the sledgehammer solid any longer.
Thanks in advance!

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Hi. Any load data that speer has listed in there manual should be a good starting reference. I would recommend that that you start low use a starting load and work up. powders like H4831sc or R19 would be my choice

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.... can you use just any bullet, with any load data as long as bullet caliber and weight are same as load data?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Rereading your question load data doesn't exchange one for one between brands and shapes of the same weight. if you start low and work up you can use other brand and bullet style info. Don't take a max load for one brand and assume it is safe with another brand.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi. Any load data that speer has listed in there manual should be a good starting reference. I would recommend that that you start low use a starting load and work up.

I didn't read that into you question. I would not use cast bullets. Ramrod summed up

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The 416 Rigby is a very safe caliber to reload.

Be careful of crushing the 416Rigby shoulder when seating or crimping a bullet. Proper chamfer, case length, and seating die position prevents any problem. If you make a mistake you will lose a case.

On powders, almost everything will work at the book max load as a starting load. By tradition and SAAMI, the Rigby is loaded far below its capacity and potential. I have loaded all of our 416Rigby rifles with 350gn TSX and TTSX and Rel-17 to 2800-2850fps without pressure signs, almost 200 fps beyond 'book max'. Companies like to load the Rigby below 50k PSI instead of a typical 60k PSI in most rifles.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the help. Loaded up the first rounds last night and will not likely shoot them until this weekend! Work Travel gets in the way this entire week!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to watch for with your .416 is overall length with different bullets. My Ruger .416 has almost no throat. Hornady rn bullets work fine to the max listed o.a.l. but when I tried some Swift 400 gr. a-frames I found that I had to shorten things up quite a bit to get proper functioning.
C.G.B.