Find
Notify
Tools

.470 with uncharted powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need some help here with .470 reloading
I am in south america and cannot bring powder and primers into the country easily (that is a major understatement)

What I have in hand is Remington 91/2M primers and a single base CBC (magtech) powder. This is their slowest burning powder and is called CBC 124.

Well today I tried a few loads with 500 grains woodleights throug my cronograph:

90 grains +12 grains filler = 1747 fps

95 grains +10 grains filler = 1801 fps

Federal factory = 1049 fps

Question 1: is this remington primer much worse than the 215?? So that I will never get good results??

Question 2: was 40 fps to little for a 5 grain increase in powder? Is this powder no good?

Question 3: as I increase the charge, how much can I compress the powder?

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ooops I ment 2049fps for the federal factory load

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't think the primer will make much difference. it sounds like your powder is very slow (don't have any idea what it compares to) our H4831 is usually a 108 grain load. my guess is to keep upping the load and checking the regulation.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ddouble:
Question 2: was 40 fps to little for a 5 grain increase in powder? Is this powder no good?

You had a 6% change in powder energy and a 6% change in bullet energy (the velocity change per you 2 stated velocities was 54 fps. not 40). Just what you would suspect. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by Ddouble:

You had a 6% change in powder energy and a 6% change in bullet energy (the velocity change per you 2 stated velocities was 54 fps. not 40). Just what you would suspect. beerroger

Those Remington primers are OK. You just need to increase the powder charge until you get the MV up to specifications. You don't have too much further to go, it seems to me.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
many thanks to all.

I will keep going up with the chrono and looking for pressure signs.

Anybody thought the 2050 fps was slow for the Federal? Could it be my chrono? or that is just the normal overestimation of charted ballistics?