New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading the .450-400 Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Let me start of my stating my only experience reloading is .45 a.c.p. on my lee classic turret press. I have everything I need to clean and prep brass. I have never reloaded a rifle round, and the only rifles I own are a .308 and the ruger .450-400.

Where should I start? I have a lee reloading manual, and I know I need dies. I haven't yet measured it, but I am assuming I need a new press, and am considering the c&h. It will only be used to load the aforementioned calibers. I have enough hornady 400 grain solids to last a while. I want to load .405 win 300 grain barnes tsx bullets for practice and Ky Whitetail. I have been given a recipe by one forum member, and seek additional input.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Loading rifle is easier than loading pistol as you only have 2 dies and do not flare the mouth. Otherwise, the operations are the same. I like the Rock Chucker but most any standard press will work for a 450-400; I load for it a lot and with the 300 grain Hornady too; you do not need to spend money on Barnes for deer. Get a set of dies and some brass and see if your Lee press has enough head room; if it does; start loading. I will look up my 300 grain load if you want. It goes 2200 fps but you can load it much hotter in the Ruger but you don't need to.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries on the data, you sent in a p.m. What bullets do you suggest?

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I read that the Lee turret press has a 3 inch gap; that is enough. For deer, all you need is the hornady 300 grain bullet; I have seen bear and hogs killed with them from a .405 and it opens up well and knocks the hell out of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, and nice to know my turret press will work. I have at least 40 pieces of brass I hope I can prep this coming week. My Nitro Exprees hobby has quickly become expensive, and I don't even own a double yet!

Colin

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Since you said you wanted to hunt deer with it, 400 grain DG bullets won't work; they will sail right through a deer unless you bust the shoulders. Stick to the 300 grain Hornady for deer.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Heck I don't shoot a 450-400 but I do a lot of plinking and even small TX deer with the 210gr pistol bullets in my 400PDK

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes a 400 gr. bullet will sometimes whistle right thru a deer, Impala, Hartebeest or what have you shot at 2125 FPS from a 450-400, and they don't make many tracks and they bleed profusely..I have shot many animals of deer size and larger with the caliber with both softs and solids without a single complaint.

I suggest if a 40 cal. solid will kill a buffalo efficiently then surly it will kill a deer, go figure.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote