Find
Notify
Tools

lee hand press??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
does anyone have one of these and if so how do you like it??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy, I have had one for about 4 years, and find that I load a lot of my rifle loads on it. My shop is not climate controlled and the heat in the summer is unreal. So I bring my hand press, scales, hand primer, etc. inside and reload on the kitchen table, (be sure and get prior approval from the Misses). It works great for smaller cases, but anything larger than 308 or 30-06 gets to be a struggle, as there is not much leverage. Works great for load development. Also noticed it works best if you use uniform pressure seating bullets; I try to slap the handles together seating bullets, otherwise you get inconsistent OAL. If you are not planning on reloading large quantaties of ammo, say 25 rounds max at a time I can reccomend the Lee hand press.
BTW, I know that Lee products tend to get a bad rap on here, but I have been using them for over 20 years and find their products tend to be of good quality and user friendly. Hope that helps.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have one that I use to seat bullets a lot, but it has the disadvantage of not being able to prime cases, so you have to have something to seat primers with, as well as the hand press......

It works OK.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Lee hand loaders. Just picked one up for a .44 mag. I kind of bastardized my rock chucker along with the Lee and use my carbide dies to resize cases, I like the way my RCBS hand primer works, so I prime all cases with it. the way it feels when the primer seats seems more consistant than anything else I've tried, but I wouldn't want to do 500 9mm's with it unless there was a good movie on tv.
I have a 30-30 Sav. single shot that I load a 125gr Nosler bal.tip in front of 35 gr. off AAXMR 4064 and I do it all with the Lee and RCBS auto prime. I get excellent results with one hole 100 yd. groups and last year, knocked a 130 lb. whitetail on his butt at over 150 yds. It also shoots great in our local cast bullet matches with 130 gr.of melted wheel weights and drives the local "pros" nuts when I show up with a $150.00 rifle and a $10.00 loader and keep up with the "big boys", may as well pick up a good powder scale and caliper.
Shoot safe

Posts: 31 | Location: no.va. | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day, The hand press is a good idea if space is a problem, or if (like me) you do a fair bit of travelling, and need to reload. The whole thing (press, dies, powder, projectiles, everything except primers!) fits into a small toolbox and takes up hardly any space.
If you buy it as the kit, it comes wth the primer seater. At least, mine did.
Having said that, if you need to load more than about 30 rounds with one, you are going to be mighty bored!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Popgunn,

The Lee loader is not the same as a Lee Hand Press....they're two different critters...the hand press uses regular dies.

Lee Loader

Lee Hand Press at the bottom of the page

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
My Lee hand Press has become my primary reloading press. I have had no complaints in the about five years I have been using it.

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's a dog.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have had with my Lee hand Press has been trying to full length magnum cartridges. I used it to make some loads for a friend had he couldn't get his bolt to close due to the ammount of spring in the hand press. They were some shells he had found not virgin brass or this wouldn’t have been a problem. Lee makes a primer accessory to use with a hand press or the rock chucker that I use. I bought a Sinclair hand primer that I use in the house it is made a lot like the lee hand primer but cost 10 times as much and will not break. If your shells are only fired in your rifle you should only have to neck size and this can easily be done with a Lee hand press.

Good luck and have fun reloading

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by El Deguello:
disadvantage of not being able to prime cases, so you have to have something to seat primers with, as well as the hand press......

QUOTE]

Beg pardon? I have a Lee "Ram Prime" gadget that fits all presses including the Lee hand press.
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I don't know why you would want to use a press for primers, I got a LEE auto prime for less than $10 and it works like the cats meow

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C.C.

If you're talking about the little portable one (Lee) that Midway USA has for +20$, they are sweet. Nice to bring to the range with you if you're developing or adjusting loads. A friend of mine travels far and wide to hunt and he uses a .375/338 (Chat-Taylor). He always takes my handpress, a bullet puller and some .375, 270 gr boat tails with him in case he loses ammo and has to buy .338 win mags. the 375, 270 gr. boat tails just press right in.

All in all it has its place and for the money, how can you go wrong?

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still have and use the one I used to keep in my locker at boarding school. Works great for handgun loads- which is what I mostly loaded at school, but not the tool for big rifle cases.

At school I used a lee loader to resize my 7mm rifle cases and then primed, etc on the hand press.

I mainly use mine now for load development work- take the primed, sized cases to the range along with scale, powder and bullets and work up. Sure as heck beets pulling bullets from rounds that were too hot or way under!

The lyman equivalent has slightly better leverage and can be bench mounted or used as a hand tool.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

What Lyman model? Thanks.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know why you would want to use a press for primers,

When I am belling case mouths I prime at the same time, thus saving a step.

posted Hide Post
I bought a lee hand press a couple of years back for load development at the range..Its cheap and cheerful but does the job well if you keep an eye on OAL as you go...

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a Lee Loader for MI carbine rounds a long time ago. It worked great for slow reloading of a few rounds. The only problem I ever had was sometimes when seating the primers one would go off. I started holding the case with a rag to prevent the "fircracker going off in hand" feeling when one did pop off.

I do realize the loader is not the hand press, just thought I would mention the loader does work OK. I use a hand primer for all primer seating chores as well. Faster than using the Rock Chucker to load primers one at a time.

Posts: 11 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I have Lee Loader for various calibers and Lee Hand Press. with it I reload also 9.3x62 cartridges with good results.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
I don't know why you would want to use a press for primers, I got a LEE auto prime for less than $10 and it works like the cats meow

Your not wrong. I've never had a press that will prime good enough for me, including the Lee hand press. I liked the Lee hand primer so much I bought two of them.
JL

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote