New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tumbler Media Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been using untreated walnut media for many years. Ordered some Lyman Tufnut (treated with rouge) and could not get it off the cases. Even washed with soap and water in the tumbler but the only way to get the cases clean was to wipe every one inside and out. Complained, and after some "discussion", was sent some corn cob media (probably just to shut me up). Cleaned and polished satisfactorily but 80% of the cases had a piece of media stuck in the primer hole. Had to be punched out. Now the question (sorry for the long lead in): Are these two conditions common 1) Rouge that won't come off and, 2) corncob pieces stuck in the primer hole?

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both have happened to me.
When I did vibrate cases,I since have transitioned to stainless steel media in water and detergent, I stopped using pretreated walnut grit--I threw in a capful of liquid auto polish and give it a 10 minute cycle to distribute evenly in the media.
Works great.

As to corncob- only use it on loaded rounds--yes, I know that statement will garner warnings but since the big companies do it and I never have experienced ANY problems, I give finished rounds a 15 minute trip in the tumbler.
I got tired of picking out media from primer pockets.

Anyway, the stainless steel and water bath REALLY cleans the cases better and faster, even primer pockets. No longer need to hit the pockets to get the carbon out.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using ground walnut shells ever since vibrating tumblers came out. Now and then I might add a bit of liquid polish. As far as picking out crap from the primer pockets, I decap after tumbling. Primer pockets never get cleaned very well with walnut or cob media anyway.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
happened to me lots so i quit using walnut shells and went to corncobs, but they can get dirty too and leave a mess adhered to the cases

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not deprime until after tumbling. You will have that problem more so as the medis wears. Just cut up a old(or new) dryer anti-static sheet into quarters or so and put several(depends on how bad the media is) in each batch. They soak up the dust/etc and you get nice shinny brass with no coating.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Divernhunter:
I do not deprime until after tumbling. You will have that problem more so as the medis wears. Just cut up a old(or new) dryer anti-static sheet into quarters or so and put several(depends on how bad the media is) in each batch. They soak up the dust/etc and you get nice shinny brass with no coating.

old That's a big 10-4 ! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have had all the same issues with treated tumbling media as you guys. Now that the Ultrasonic cleaners are so cheap, I don't waste my time with treated tumbling media anymore. I get clean brass inside and outside and if I want super shiny brass, I tumble them in untreated walnut shell for 15 minutes.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cleaned and polished satisfactorily but 80% of the cases had a piece of media stuck in the primer hole.

Rouge of some kind is demanded by those who think glittery cases equal quality work; it's harmless.

Maybe you could send your clogged cases to Lyman and let them punch the stuff out, it hardly matters to most of us because it gets pushed out in the sizer.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Thumbler's tumblers in the early 70s and proceeded to polish everything in sight. After I wore out my media I treated it with more rouge and promptly got it all over my brass. From time to time I polished more cases and got them rouged too. I eventually got the problem figured out. How ever I changed my methods. If the brass is corroded or badly tarnished I clean with an acid case cleaner then tumble. For brass that is clean I do not bother to polish. I keep it clean by washing in soapy water, rinsing in hot water then rinsing in alcohol. If it turns dark so what.
Polishing is now only used to salvage corroded brass that has been acid cleaned.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never did get round to getting a tumbler.
l only load 100 cases a month,heres how.I put the neck cleaning brush in the lathe chuck (or your cordless drill chuck)Spin it,push the deprimed case over the brush for few seconds to clean inside,then let the case spin with the brush.while its spinning hold a strip of scotchbrite against the case till its clean and shiny.Takes about 30 seconds a case with negligible loss to dia. flameaway.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gab:
. . . Anyway, the stainless steel and water bath REALLY cleans the cases better and faster, even primer pockets. No longer need to hit the pockets to get the carbon out.Gary

+1 The SST in a Thumblers will clean brass like new, and the big advantage is the primer pockets are also clean, as well as the entire inside. And, the pins last forever so no more buying any more media.

May be countered that sparkling clean brass has negligible effect or return on accuracy, however if you bought new ammo and it was tarnished, dirty, dull, and stained, you'd probably think twice about purchasing more ammo from that manufacturer Cool or since it has no effect, maybe not Wink

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can go to the pet store and buy a bag of "reptile bedding" for around $7, its just untreated walnut media.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The trick for corn cob media is to get the finest grit available. Here's the best I can find;

grainger corn cob

It's even freight free.(At least it was). 40 pounds will last your 20 years even if you change it out every 6 months. Or split a bunch with your buddies

It's small enough to NOT get caught in any flash hole. Smaller grit seems to polish a little better.

I use nu finish car polish in my vib. tumbler every other time, alternated with flitz tumbler polish, or midway case polish.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The jeweler's rouge that some media is treated with is nasty stuff, as you've learned. Avoid it.

It doesn't matter if the media is corn cob, walnut, or wheat directly from the combine (yes, I've used it and it works pretty well); if the size of the grains is approximately the same as the flashhole, then you'll get pieces stuck there. I simply sit in front of the TV and poke the holes clean with a sharply pointed tool.

Harbor Freight and Tool is a good source of relatively inexpensive untreated walnut. A teaspoon or so of car polish (or Lyman's Media Treatment -- the white stuff) will hasten its action and also rejuvenate it a couple of times before it becomes soiled enough that it requires replacement.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I replenished my media with a couple tablespoons of brasso and it works great.

Another trick that I tried was lemi shine and water with a shot of Dawn in a tupperware container and it cleans brass in 5 minutes easily. Just rinse and dry at low heat in the oven.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornHas anyone tried corn meal? The stuff that is in the baking section of the super market. shockerroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried corn meal but before tumblers came along I used to put rice and brass in a pillow case (doubled, don't ask me why) and run it a while in my wife's clothes dryer. It worked pretty good.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight has untreated walnut hull media in Coarse (Like Lyman) Medium, and fine.

The fine is small enough that it does not get stuck in flash holes! I treat the media myself with some Lyman media rejuvenator or some Flitz media additive.

I used to use a pint of BB's and a cup of water with a drop of dishsoap in my Thumler's Tumbler, but that just got too time consuming... even though it really did do the best job..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesTried a 1/2# of corn meal mixed in with my ancient but good walnut. Could not perceive any real difference between it and using walnut alone as far as required time or finish. The one surprise was the cases were about 3/4 full of the corn meal. beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never use a tumbler, hate the media getting into primer pckets and having to check inside every case for the stuff. Tartaric Acid and dishwash, soak in hot water for 5min and use a nylon brush to clean the insides of the cases. Time consuming ? Yes but I dont load more than 40rds 7x57 at a time. You dont need many shots with the 7x57 to put things down! Wink

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote