Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for a 10 gauge?
 Login/Join

posted
want to start reloading steel or Hevi-shot for my 10 gauge?

I will only be reloading 5-6 boxes a year so I do not need anything to fancy. These are the two presses I am considering? What do you all think would be best for me?

MEC Steelmaster
MEC 600 JR.

Thanks for any and all input??

GHJ

Posts: 21 | Location: Colorado! | Registered: 30 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I would go with the cheaper one because of the small quantity you are going to do. Both will make more than desirable shells.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yes, but.....

The resizing is the kicker. If you shoot an auto, I'd want that collet resizer on the Sizemaster. Heck, I'd want it even if I didn't have an auto......

You should be able to get one off Ebay, or put a WANTED ad in the classifieds here. It could save you a ruined hunt. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot the BPS10. Not much for auto's. If I am correst can't you buy a resizer serperatly??

Posts: 21 | Location: Colorado! | Registered: 30 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ballistic products has a nice package for loading hevi-shot for 10 guage. You could save even more if you have your own empties already.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi_homepage/products/prod_load_components/shot/hevishot/hevishotpkg.htm

Go with the 600 JR, you don't need the collet die. Yes the collet sizer is available as a seperate item though not sure if they make it in 10 guage.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
You will find the operation of the Steelmaster very much the same as the Sizemaster. Its collet sizing station is far easier for brass resizing (brass platted steel these days) than the die type of the 600Jr. Still both will work fine for the job. You will find that the components are not cheap, reloading Steel Shot takes special wads & powders and you need to be rather exacting as Steel is not as forgiving. You may find that after you buy all the components and the shot and with the cost of the machine it may not be as cost effective if you shoot small volumes. Check out the Lyman Shotshell 4th edition for good info on Steel reloading and Alliant Powder offers additional data. For components check out Ballistic Products web site. You will also need a good scale to verify your charge & shot weights. Good luck.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote