New
Find
Notify
Tools

those pesky flyers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
gunsmile What is your opinion or maybe solid info of what causes the pesky flyers that ruin an other wise great grouping. I resently shot 50 rounds from my .41 magnum rifle and many times out of 5 shots thre went through the same hole and then here came a couple 1 inch flyers. Same powder, bullet seating, cases, primers, bullets and all weighed on a calibrated electronic scale!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seperate out the cases that throw the fliers. Retest your groups with the "good" ones, than try the "bad" ones on a seperate target.
I'm thinking about a internal volume issue here.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI see the cases may have different volumes causing the differance. Also I read where weighing the cases might help. I guess running a cc volume on each case would do. But will seperate the ones fliers came from. Thanks

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum Blob 1.
What kind of rifle you shooting?

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Right now I am tuning my Marlin .41 magnum rifle in. Then comes the Ruger .260 and then the old 7.7 Jap sniper rifle. I sold sll my bull barrled rifles, .243, .223, .308 and my 30/06. Bought a new ss Ruger MK 77 in the .260 caliber to hunt with. Will use the .41 for some thickets and wild hogs and haveing fun with the Jap shiper rifle! gunsmile