New
Find
Notify
Tools

ah huh finally an imforned question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally things are starting to make sense and I can ask a question. Anyways my mossberg atr in .308 has a rifleing twist of 1:10, this indicates I will probably get better accuracy from a sierra 175gr bullet rather than the 168 gr am I correct?

John 3:16

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry just answered my own question with even more research, 1:10 twist is good fopr bullets up to 220 gr the info said.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both the 168 and 175's are probably going to shoot pretty well...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It's pretty hard to over stabelize a bullet. I have a 1-8 in my 260ai. It shoots the little 85gr Sierra just as well as the 142grSMK, at least to 200yds. The 142grSMK shoot much better beyond that.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only real physical problem from using a fast twist is with over-rotating a thin-skinned, varmint bullet at high velocity. It can tear the jacket off. Otherwise, no worries.

Serious paper shooters will explain how the wrong twist will affect accuracy. That's way down the road.

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
The difference between 168 and 175 grain bullets in 308 is going to be wholly due to the characteristics of the load as it matches the gun and virtually not related to twist rate.

Even at the extremes of 110 grain bullets vs 220 grain bullets you won't likely have problems in 308. You see twist rate becoming critical in the 22 caliber guns and by the time you have passed 6mm guns it's almost never a problem.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got some BAD NEWS for you - maybe and maybe not.

As you get more into Reloading, it will become evident that for some totally unknown reasons, a rifle will shoot some Bullets better than others. Twist Rate is a fine place to start, but it is not totally responsible for potential Accuracy. There are some extremely Heavy Weight Bullets in specific Calibers where a Faster Twist than is normally in a Factory rifle is needed to Stabalize them. They will have a **NOTE** specifying the Twist Rate needed in the Reloading Charts.

It can be that a specific rifle just doesn't shoot one Weight real well, but cut tiny Bragger Groups with a slightly different Weight. Or it might shoot a specific Brand of Bullet(with the same Weight) better than a different Brand. Or even within the same Brand, it might prefer one Style over a different one.

One quick example that comes to mind is a rifle I have which shoots a specific Lot of Nosler partitions "tighter" than Ballistic Tips. That is far from Normal, but that is what is shown on the Targets.

So, the only way to know - is to shoot them and see what your specific rifle likes.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core got what your saying , I was merely talking on terms of twist rate only not a particular rifle. As I learn more I also am learning reloading is so apecific every question must be asked specifically. Its good to have a question answered in a way I never would have thought of asking. It really makes you think , and in my opinion, is the best way to learn. I appreciate your point of view and it will go into my" book of notes", that by the way is filling up fast lol.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloading is nearly unique in that there are so many ways to go about accomplishing the same goal. When you see a lot of different responses to the same question, they may all be correct. That can be a bit aggravating at first when you don't know which Track is the best one to Follow.

Fortunately there are a whole lot of very experienced Reloaders on this Board. And you are asking good questions which indicate you are "Thinking" about the overall process. Good for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote