New
Find
Notify
Tools

9 mm powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Of you who reload the 9 mm Parabellum what is your powder of choice when using 124 grain bullets?

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unique

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HS-6, for 9mm, 40SW, 45acp, and .38spcl. currently. I was using W231 in place of Unique. I've decided to go with a somewhat slower powder like HS-6 in all the plinking pistols I load as there is no chance to double charge a case. I do still use 231 in a couple of loads in which HS-6 will not work.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate Arms #5. Or as I call it: 'liquid Unique'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AA#7 was specifically designed for the 9x19 cartridge, and its performance is most impressive although with less pressure and speed than #5.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have tried to find a single powder that would give me adequate performance in 9mm and great performance in 40 S&W (which I load long to fit 1911's).

9mm is easy to get standard to +P performance. My 40 S&W Long is a little more difficult as it is nearly the performance of 10 mm.

The powder I found that I really like is WSF. Is slightly slower than AA #5 (Which is a lot slower than Unique by the way.)

Is easy to get velocity in 9mm, standard 40 and 40 Long.

AA #7 is a great powder in 9x21 and Super. Along with 3N37 one can make IPSC major with these powders with ease. I think they're just a bit slow for 9mm.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Unique

AD

+1

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you want to do w/ the 9mm. I like Unique, WSF & Universal, even AA#5 for std.-+p loads. If you want light plinking to just under factory vel. then WST & HP38 work well. FOr +p-+P+, AA#7, LOngshot & BlueDot will get you there safely.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote