New
Find
Notify
Tools

LR Winchester primer to small
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerJust wondering if anyone else had run into this. I loaded some once shot cases with Winchester Large rifle primers, placed them in a small plastic bag as I do all my different loads, and placed them in my padded carring bag. When I got to the range and was going to shoot the load with the winchester primer one was out of the case in the bottom of the bag. When I got home I measured the primer pocket and they were ok and I loaded some Federal primers which loaded with the normal feeling. then I started measuring the Winchestr primers and some were .001-.002 smaller than Federals, CCI and Remington.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Blob,

I used to use WW primers exclusively with good fit in their brass. IIRC about 4 years ago I got some that were loose and started measuring as you have. Yes, I found them to be about 1 thou smaller than before. I quit using WW primers and went to CCIBR and haven't tried them (WW) since. It is really hard for me to believe that WW can't/won't/didn't produce primers that fit properly in THEIR OWN brass.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerWell there you go. I won't use anymore of them for sure. Like the picture you have with your post! That was from 1500 yards right!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I bought 5000 WW Large Rifle primers a couple years back at a gunshow. They were VERY loose in every make of case I tried them in, although I don't recall having any actually fall out of the pockets in normal handling.

I've finally shot them all up in non-critical ammunition and am VERY glad to see the end of them. At the same show I also bought WW primers in Small Pistol and Large Pistol sizes, and these were perfect in all respects.

How in blazes is a feller supposed to know?

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blob1:
SmilerWell there you go. I won't use anymore of them for sure. Like the picture you have with your post! That was from 1500 yards right!

Aaahhhhh, ya. Just slightly less than 1500 yds. And there was a strong breeze too. Wink

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote