Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 40 SW Case scoreing on reloads
 Login/Join

posted
Using a Dillon 550B I have been reloading 40 SW for just a few days. I have loaded both SPEER and PMC cases with good results. I have noted that when I use Winchester cases, the cases are scored around the top 2/3s of the case after going through my sizing die. I have a friend who also has a 550B and he is getting the same results. The Winchester spent cases are from 165 Gr FMJ FNwere fired from my Taurus PT100. I got this Ammo from WalMart @ $35.00/100.

Question:
Are these just cheap brass and shouldnt be used for reloading. I should just ignore, or do I and my friend have an issue with our Dillon Dies. Keeping in mind that the SPEER and PMC reloads were done both before and after the Winchester reloads and came out just fine.

Choices:
Stop buying ammo at Walmart
Lube the Winchester cases

Posts: 4 | Location: Metro Phoenix AZ USA | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You need more options; like who cares? Light scoring won't hurt it. Or clean your dies or clean your brass; there is a reason for the scoring and that doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the brass. And it certainly is not WalMart's fault. Is the Win brass softer than other brands? I don't know.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you mean by scoring. If they are small scratches, just ignore it and go on. It might appear that you have something against WalMart already, so even though the Winchester ammo is the same at WalMart as Cabelas, and Bass Pro, and everywhere else, I would just still avoid them, since you really want to anyway. Winchester brass is just different than Speer or PMC. Nothing more.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry, I appreciate your quick response. The scratches are more than cosmetic. You can feel them when you run your figers over the case. As long as they shoot alright and dont harm my bores or my die, Im good. Any additional thoughts?

Posts: 4 | Location: Metro Phoenix AZ USA | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know the brass is clean and my die has only loaded less than 1oo rounds. I just figured there must be some issue with the brass, since I dont get the same result from the PMC or SPEER brass. One of my buddies who also has a 550B press is getting the same result.

posted Hide Post
I plan to go over to Dillons in the next day or so and show them what Im seeing to see if they have any thoughst on the matter. Ill post the results so if anyone else runs into the same thing, everyone can bennifit from everyones input. Thanks again guys.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They won't hurt your bores or die (brass does not touch your bore and your die is about 1000 times harder than the brass). Which I think the problem has to be in your die. A smooth die will not scratch brass unless the brass is dirty.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your brass came out of the package without scratches then something in your gun or your process is causing the scratches. How about a photo?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote