Tools

243 and heavy bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by outback32:
well guys as ive said im new to rifles. im learning as i go and making silly mistakes. I think i found the reason for my troubles. ive been shooting with my barrel on the hard part of my shooting rest instead of my stock. so ive got some more test loads ready to go. thanks for the help im sure il have more questions

That will do it. Hope you get better results now.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're learning fast. Be careful of your OAL (bullet seating depth). My rifle like 1/10" from the lands. When you get a good load going I would start there and maybe move it a smidge closer and see if your groups get better.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well im at a complete loss as to whats going on. 2 weeks ago 38 gns of imr 4350 and 90gn gamechangers gave good results. 3 in one hole so i loaded 38 and 38.5 today and tried again. results are 2.5 inch group and 3inch group. im not sure if its me the gun or the reloading process. just utterly disappointed at this point.

Posts: 55 | Location: southern il | Registered: 05 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your action screws and your scope mounting screws. That's where I'd start.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by outback32:
well im at a complete loss as to whats going on. 2 weeks ago 38 gns of imr 4350 and 90gn gamechangers gave good results. 3 in one hole so i loaded 38 and 38.5 today and tried again. results are 2.5 inch group and 3inch group. im not sure if its me the gun or the reloading process. just utterly disappointed at this point.

You said you are new to rifles, do you have a 22LR? I suggest you work on your shooting with a 22 ( breathing, trigger control, etc) with a target set at 50 yds. On a calm day, you should shoot <1" groups. Do you have any other center fire rifles? If so, what ssize groups are you shooting with it? BTW I used to live southern IL, Robinson, in Crawford Co. I used to shoot at Edgar Co. Sportmans Club.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes i have 22 hunt squirrels alot with it. im going to have someone else shoot the gun. they are a good shot. il see if its me or the loads. im going to try some factory loads also

Posts: 55 | Location: southern il | Registered: 05 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hundred grain spitzers are typically available in .243win factory loads.

For accuracy, there are 105/7 grain match and David Tubb used to make a 115gr match bullet.

No big deal loading the heavier jobs, unless you're going with Tubb's bullet.