New
Find
Notify
Tools

180 Nos bt's for 338 lapua
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anybody found a good load for this combo? Reloader 19 works well but 3200 f.p.s. is all I can get. MOA is not bad 3/8 to 1/2 at 100 yards. If any one has a better loads or any suggestions. I know that 180's for a lapua are light,But it's the best bullet for term.poformence on coyotes If anyone has worked with this cartridge your thoughts are welcome! Rifle is a blaser 93LRS2 with a 24in barrel. Also has any one reloaded with lapua brass? I'm using Norma. Any differnces?

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general Lapua is tougher than Norma, but Norma does know how to make tough brass (eg for Weatherby). Your Norma 338 Lapua brass is probably just fine. Norma is more apt to polish their brass after the final anneal step, but that is obviously just cosmetic. When I use either Norma or Lapua brass I don't worry about primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring (they drill their flash holes, so no burrs), or neck turning. I just visually inspect it, load and go shooting.
Sorry, I have never thought about shooting coyotes with a 338 Lapua. Do the Ballistic Tips hold up to the velocities you are going for?
Good luck,
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am kind of a 340 fanatic (been thru 3 and am on my 4th tube), I've used the 180 Noz Bt quite a bit on chucks and yotes.

I'd think you may benefit from trying a powder a bit slower. R22 for sure, that is what I use in my 340 for most all bullet weights and could run the 180's out at 33 to 34 in my 23" tubed 340. I'd be for thinking if you slowed the powder burn rate down then you'd find a bit more of what you're wanting.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any loads for you, but I atleast have a suggestion. You might want to try RL25. I worked up a practice load for my 338/378 (just a little more beef than the Lapua) with RL25 and the 200 gr. Nosler BT's. It's turned out to be an excellent load for paper punching and light game. Almost forgot, yes, for light game, they will hold together. Muzzle velocity for my loads is right at 3400 fps. and they seem to be holding together just fine on whitetail.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that information. I had read that the 338 Ballistic Tips were tougher than the smaller sizes. It is good to know that is true. Maybe I'll make a coyote load for my 338 Win Mag. I love this board. I learn something every time I look.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I had read that the 338 Ballistic Tips were tougher than the smaller sizes.

Section a .338 Ballistic tip sometimes and have a look for yourself. The bloody things are nearly half jacket with a large solid copper heel! I use the 200 grain BT in my .338-06 and when used on large animals they retain a higher percentage of weight than do the 210 partitions while penetrating just as deep.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll do that. F**k. Another box of bullets that I have to buy. I'll never save up for that new pickup truck.
JCN

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

I'm sure someone can cut a bullet in half and send you the picture. I have some 200BT's here (Boise) if nothing else. That will let you continue your savings plan for that truck . BTW I have cut one in half and what has been said is true. The bases of the bullets over .30 cal are considerably heavier. I haven't cut a 260 .375 Accubond apart yet but plan on doing it to compare them to the .338 200gr and .358 225 BT's I have. Wet phonebook expansion on the Accubond if pretty impressive though.

Nathan

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
While I haven't loading any 180gr. Nosler BT's, I have loaded some 225gr ACCUBOND's. I used 102.5grs. of RL25 and got 3379fps 13' from the muzzle. 5 shots went into 3.5" @ 400 yds. The stick is an HS Precision HTR w/28"bbl. Soon I will be trying out the 180 BT's. Hope this helps. Semper Fi

Posts: 7 | Location: Anderson,SC | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the starting with the 338 on up, the bullets are "tougher". For anything heavy, game wise, I still prefer a stouter bullet, but that's just my preference. For now, for my 338/378 I've settled on the 210 gr. Scirroco. The accuracy I've been getting with those is phenomenal.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will try some RL25. WOW 3300+ with 225's thats good! Also,Kingfisher what powder, primer,vel.,group size? I've wanted to try those 210gr Scirroco's. Once agian Thanks

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote