Find
Notify
Tools

When to use magnum primers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted
I couple of recent posters have suggested that CCI 200 primers seem to cause misfires compared with Federal.

I thought I might change from CCI to Federal and at the same time try magnum primers. I am reloading for 8x57 and 6.5x55. Both with pretty full cases.

Any good reason not to give this a go?

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
YES.. you can use the mag primers BUT you need to reduce the load 2 or 3 grains and work up the load. you could experience higher pressures with the mag primers.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deerdogs:
I couple of recent posters have suggested that CCI 200 primers seem to cause misfires compared with Federal.

I thought I might change from CCI to Federal and at the same time try magnum primers. I am reloading for 8x57 and 6.5x55. Both with pretty full cases.

Any good reason not to give this a go?

I use Mag. primers in Mag.Cartridges & standard primers in Non Magnum Cartridges.
That is just the way I do it.
Good Luck!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal primers are softer than CCI, and if you have a weak firing pin hit, the CCI's may not fire.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Have a look at our FAQ pages. I have run a test on primers with different case capacities.

You might find it of interest.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs, no problem going to a magnum primer, but all charts I have seen place the standard Federal 210 above the CCI250 in "heat". In other words, the Federal standard primer is hotter than the CCI magnum. As usual, reduce and work back up when changing components. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<jdllyons>
posted
In loading 243's with 55 gr. Nosler BT and 49.0 gr H-380, I had extreme spreads of over 120 fps and Std. Dev. of 75+ using WLR primers. The avg. velocity of 10 rounds was 3709 fps.

I thought I would try WLRM primers to see if it would help the consistancy.

Again a 10 shot average: 3788 fps, extreme spread of 30 fps, std dev 8.

BTW, all shooting was done at about 50 degrees.

<Kimmo E>
posted
Magnum primers are often recomended for 6,5*55 with magnum powder like Norma MRP.
They are better in cold areas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using WLRM primers in my 6.5x55 for some time now. I felt it a good idea to rework the loads starting at 10% below my previous load. I have not seen any pressure signs with IMR4350 and IMR4831 right up to the previous loads. I will keep trying though!

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When to use "magnum" primers? When they are either (1) cheaper than standards (never, unless you find a closeout), or (2) perform better (infrequent, but it happens).

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found only magnum primers will make ball powder load shoot/ignite satisfactorily.

With 8mm or 6.5mm Mauser, unless you use ball powder like Re19, Re22..etc, CCI 200 will do fine.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard,

No you must give this a try and you must buy from me the 800 federal magnum match primers that I have

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I follow John Barsness's suggestion in a Handloader article to use magnum primers with ball powders for cases that use a Large Rifle primer.

It probably isn't necessary, but any of the resulting loads that were unsatisfactory, were so far off the velocity I was trying to reach that a cooler primer certainly wouldn't have helped!

I even use CCI 250 magnum primers to light off 35.0 grains of W748 in my .30-30 and it goes 1.5-2 MOA with 170-gr. bullets from Nosler, Hornady or Sierra.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote