New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW CHRONOGRAPH
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to buy a new chronograph, which one do you guys recommend and why?

Posts: 46 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Various models of the Chrony seem to be the most popular. I had a Pact w/ a built-in printer a long time and I liked that feature. Just ordered a Chrony Gamma that has a printer, but it hasn't arrived yet. I've got 6-rifles and an XP100 waiting their turn to shoot thru it when it arrives. Next week. dancing

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand that the Oehler Model 35 is back for a limited production run. Its electronics are the same as everyone's (and almost flawless in performance), however, it is the bullet detection system (screens) that makes the real difference and Oehler's is superior to most.

If I didn't already have an Oehler 35 I would beat a path to their website to order one. Lots of owners will claim that their chronograph is "just as good as an Oehler". I think the fact that the claim is stated in that way tells you alot.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I understand that the Oehler Model 35 is back for a limited production run. Its electronics are the same as everyone's (and almost flawless in performance), however, it is the bullet detection system (screens) that makes the real difference and Oehler's is superior to most.

If I didn't already have an Oehler 35 I would beat a path to their website to order one. Lots of owners will claim that their chronograph is "just as good as an Oehler". I think the fact that the claim is stated in that way tells you alot.

tu2 X 2!!! and I had three Chronies before I finally got the Model 35. With the Oehler when there is a problem you don't have to deal with someone in India who sypathises with you but can be of little help. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since when is Chrony made in India?.
I would but the cheapest chrony, when you
shoot it (yes you will) they will take it in trade.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't shoot an Oehler because (1) the machine sits on the bench where you can see it read the velocity, and scroll through the data, not out there with the screens; and (2) you won't have ocassion to shoot the Oehler screens because, unlike the Chrony, you don't have to shoot so close to the sensors for them to "see" the bullet due to the Oehler's much taller, wider area of sensitivity.

The Chrony is a great little machine that is available at a very affordable price, but using it can be very frustrating due to missed shots. At the same time, its accuracy is somewhat compromised because of the short screen spacing and spacing errors caused by shooting diagonally through such a short span.

If you want to play around a little out of curiosity, get a Chrony. If you are somewhat seroius about measuring velocity (and want to do it dependably while also shooting for group), then spend the extra for an Oehler.

It's a little like buying a Tasco versus a Leupold. Lots of deer have been killed with rifles sighted by Tasco scopes and a Tasco will get by when you're pretty casual about things. But if you're serious about hunting and won't tolerate a fogged scope, fuzzy focus, or wandering zero, then you'll spend the money for a Leupold or some similarly dependable scope.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Chrony since they first came out and(knock on wood) haven't shot it yet. It's the plain jane model that tells me everything I need to know. Which is how fast are my bullets going. Anything beyond that is a whistle or bell or a desire to spend more money IMO. I guess I've been lucky also in that I've never had a great problem about dropped shots and such.
When I first got it, I proofed it against a couple of other chronographs. High dollar ones. At that time they were all high dollar (except the Chrony when it came out)and it was surprising how a chronograph that cost several hundred dollars could suddenly be selling for a couple of hundred. Anyway, my elitist buddies with the other chronographs made the usual remarks about cheap, junky stuff. They were pretty pissed when my Chrony matched theirs.
Buy what you want to, it's your money. But when folks try to tell you that their crony is more accurate or it can't be canted or whatever, it ain't true.
All that said, regardless of which crony you get, you will find it's a great addition to your reloading arsenal and opens up quite a few more doors in your reloading efforts.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You won't shoot an Oehler because (1) the machine sits on the bench where you can see it read the velocity, and scroll through the data, not out there with the screens; and (2) you won't have ocassion to shoot the Oehler screens because, unlike the Chrony, you don't have to shoot so close to the sensors for them to "see" the bullet due to the Oehler's much taller, wider area of sensitivity.

The Chrony is a great little machine that is available at a very affordable price, but using it can be very frustrating due to missed shots. At the same time, its accuracy is somewhat compromised because of the short screen spacing and spacing errors caused by shooting diagonally through such a short span.

If you want to play around a little out of curiosity, get a Chrony. If you are somewhat seroius about measuring velocity (and want to do it dependably while also shooting for group), then spend the extra for an Oehler.

It's a little like buying a Tasco versus a Leupold. Lots of deer have been killed with rifles sighted by Tasco scopes and a Tasco will get by when you're pretty casual about things. But if you're serious about hunting and won't tolerate a fogged scope, fuzzy focus, or wandering zero, then you'll spend the money for a Leupold or some similarly dependable scope.

x2

Years ago I had a chrony and it was a step in the right direction. I've had the Oehler 35 for about 7-8 years and it is a first rate, invaluable tool. Once you have consistent, accurate data, you will wonder how you relaoded and made decisions without one. Hint: all decisions were guesses without the chronograph. Spend the money on an Oehler and you will never look back.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like others here I would vote for the Oehler 35-P. I wore out two Chonys (the diffusers break after use) then got the Oehler and would never look at anything else. With the three eyes that proof themselves and gives you the true reading you are sure of the information. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Competition Electronics. 10 years no problems. I'd buy the new Pro Chrono Digital with the usb port but the retired Pro Chrono Plus I have still works.

http://www.competitionelectron.../chrono_brochure.pdf
http://www.competitionelectron...virtuemart&Itemid=79

You're looking at $170 plus shipping.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Just like optics; buy the best and cry only once!

Oehler 35p.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
Since when is Chrony made in India?.
I would but the cheapest chrony, when you
shoot it (yes you will) they will take it in trade.

rotflmo It's not that the chrony is made in India but when I had a problem with my las one the fellow that answered the phone was indeed in India. I had the lastest model they had at the time. I told the fellow that I was getting mysterious readings and on and on . His reply went something like "Oh yes you are suffering from your cable being to short. You should have a 15' cable as you are now reading powder smoke." I told him to send me one. He answered " But we do not have one, you will have to make your own." That started a frustrating chain of events so I bought an Oehler. Roll Eyes The whole thing kinda reminded me of a TV commercial beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You fellows seen the price on the new 35 model? $575.00 plus shipping if you live in the USA. $700.00 plus shipping if you live in Canada, That gotta be one helluva a piece of kit for $800.00 by the time it gets to my door. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your intention is to impress the other boys
at the range by all means skip the Chrony.
Of you could buy the Chrony and spend $400
on the good glass you talked about.
Your choice.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After agonizing over this very decision, I finally went with the ProChrono digital.

$99 from MidwayUSA on sale. Works great, in all light conditions. I would highly recommend it.

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fasteel, You guys taxes are unreal, but you do have nice parks and the upriver Indians seem to be doing better than their Alaskan cousins. I have a few buddies up in Dawson. Whenever I send them anything, they have to pay import duty and they get soaked at Post Office, never had it happen to me in Ak. My friends always stock up on the beer as it's 40 bucks a case in Canada and 20 in Ak. My one buddy bought a diavari which set him back 2300 in Whitehorse, same scope 1800 here, ouch. Ya know, we have a few upriver (across the border) friends and they keep a post office box in our community to ship food in from Fairbanks by mail. It's way cheaper than at the grocery store in Dawson, even after shipping.

I hear ya just the same, $575 ain't cheap, but I got to talk to the wife about this one, work on her that is. Maybe send my nephew in Anch 500 to pick her up PX ciggs as he's stationed there as home base for a few more years.

Usually in the end, you only get what you pay for and I've had my fill of China garbage. No joke, low quality when it comes to consumer products.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now your saying the chrony is made in China??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Chinese junk". That's pretty funny from someone hammering on a PC that's probably made in China.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Miss my old 33 Oehler--

But-my Chrony Gamma has served well for the past several years (over 10 just can't recall exactly)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense, think what you may; I've been burned on Chinese junk that I bought from Cabelas & Midway; sent her back too; just lucky I bought it from those guys. Last item was a shooting rest. Probably a good idea & design, must have been manufactured (if you can call it that) in some rural village shop with belts running overhead everywhere; the entire building shaking away. I've been in Asia in military many years back, saw it with my own eyes, saw the lepers in the streets too, know of what I speak. Have you ever been drafted and seen with your own eyes, probably not I figure.

I'd send the computer back too if it failed me. Much of the low end stuff from Asia is junk, what I have seen. Back to only getting what you pay for, guess you haven't figured that out yet in life; must be a youngster or awful slow.

If I can get American Made, will do it everytime; usually never wears out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the electronic "guts", even those of my beloved Oehler, are essentially the same and are from Taiwan, Singapore, China, or wherever.

Again, it is the screens which make all of the difference. Oehler's screens have been the best for a long time, but I understand that the screens from several of the other manufacturers have improved over time; that would probably include the Chrony. Regardless, the 12" spacing of the Chrony limits its accuracy just the way a 2 megapixel camera's resolution is limited compared to a 10 megapixel camera.

The Chrony is nice to play with; the Oehler is nice to work with.

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
I have just ordered a CED millennium 2, after a lot of research. Figured it was somewhere in between the Chronys and the Oeler. Have heard a lot of good reviews on them. Oeler to expensive if you could get them here in RSA. Why has no one recommended the CED?

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zhurh:
No offense, think what you may; I've been burned on Chinese junk that I bought from Cabelas & Midway; sent her back too; just lucky I bought it from those guys. Last item was a shooting rest. Probably a good idea & design, must have been manufactured (if you can call it that) in some rural village shop with belts running overhead everywhere; the entire building shaking away. I've been in Asia in military many years back, saw it with my own eyes, saw the lepers in the streets too, know of what I speak. Have you ever been drafted and seen with your own eyes, probably not I figure.

I'd send the computer back too if it failed me. Much of the low end stuff from Asia is junk, what I have seen. Back to only getting what you pay for, guess you haven't figured that out yet in life; must be a youngster or awful slow.

If I can get American Made, will do it everytime; usually never wears out.

Nope. I was never drafted. I did however spend 6 years in the Marines. 4 of those years were spend in asia. Are you sure you want to take me to school on asia?? Youy're in a union? right?

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I used a PACT Model 1 XP for years. It had far too many errors.

I bought a CED M2 about a year ago and have been well pleased.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Nope. I was never drafted. I did however spend 6 years in the Marines. 4 of those years were spend in asia. Are you sure you want to take me to school on asia?? Youy're in a union? right?

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No union, I was in management once and saw how crooked the unions were. Actually, The company ran the union, or should I say they ran the union leadership who did what they were told no matter what it did to their rank and file union brothers.

I'd rather pay a little more for American made when I can get it and have seen the difference in quality. The country is dying, the wealth leaving, quality of life going down; it all partially relates to goods not being made in America. It will eventually affect all of America in one way or another; even you and yours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my CED was flawless for about a year, then right in the middle of a testing session it started giving errors every shot. I called the 800 number an found out that everything is my fault...

posted Hide Post
I have a Chrony Beta Master and it works for me. I had some issues with it displaying error most times than not. I called them in Canada and spoke to their tech guy. He had me send it in and he checked the unit and said that it was over sensitive. He replaced all of the electronic units, tested it and sent it back. I scribe marked all of the electronic components just to make sure if they said that they replaced some things that they did in fact change them. Well all of the marks were not on any of the electronic components including the remote dispay/control box. I would buy their products again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WYNN:
I'd recommend you DO NOT waste your money on any of them - unless you want to compare a Recurve Bow Speed to a Compound Bow Speed. Big Grin archer

There is a totally misleading concept that knowing the Velocity of a Load, somehow tells you how much Pressure is in that Load, which is total, 100% pure bsflag

You can "guesstimate" the Velocity by comparing the External Ballistic Tables in a couple of Load Manuals. Then shoot the Loads you have Developed at 300yds and 500yds, record the Drop and it is easy to determing the real Velocity in the Ballistics Tables.

Chronographs are pretty much a total waste of $$$money$$$.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ignore everything Hot Core says about chronographs. I don't know why he hates them so much, his wife must have run off with one when he was younger. Only in his world could knowing the bullet speed be a bad thing.

I have a prochrono digital and it works great. The shooting area is a lot larger than the chrony so you're much less likely to hit it, and at about $120 it's a lot more reasonably priced than the oehler. It's right at the top of "must have" tools for me.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
HC, I'd agree with you if I had better access to 300 and 500 yard lines. Since I don't, except for competition, I have to work backwards from your plan at 100. Besides the velocity "guesstimate" is pretty much the same as the pressure "guesstimate" with more error. Granted you can have errors in chronographs also.

Shooting at 100 for velocity and going to a 500 yard range put me with in a foot for my first round. Not the be all end all way of doing things but overall worht $100 for 10 years of use.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by WYNN:
I'd recommend you DO NOT waste your money on any of them - unless you want to compare a Recurve Bow Speed to a Compound Bow Speed. Big Grin archer

There is a totally misleading concept that knowing the Velocity of a Load, somehow tells you how much Pressure is in that Load, which is total, 100% pure bsflag

You can "guesstimate" the Velocity by comparing the External Ballistic Tables in a couple of Load Manuals. Then shoot the Loads you have Developed at 300yds and 500yds, record the Drop and it is easy to determing the real Velocity in the Ballistics Tables.

Chronographs are pretty much a total waste of $$$money$$$.

Best of luck to you.

Yeah IF you have acess to a 500 yd. range, and IF you want to take the time and use a calculator to figure it out. Then it's still a gues. No thanks, I'd rather KNOW!

A chron does so much more than telling you raw velocity data. Like how consistent are the loads, ever hear of SD, standard deviation? Or ES, extreme spread, average? Calculate that with drop tabels!

Or how to know when you're approaching top pressure limits when the gain in velocity per increment of powder slows down or even reverses?

Groping around in the dark by failing to embrace new technology is stupid. I hope you freeze your ass in the outhouse because you don't want one of those new fangled water closets in your home!

Mine is a pact model 1. It's worked well for over 13 years, I never leave for the range without it. If I had to buy a new one, it would be the CED milenium 2.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a chrony.

I use it mainly to check velocity so it can be input to a ballistic program as close as possible, then shoot at all ranges to confirm drop.

As far as standard deviation, extreme spread, I have seen loads where these numbers are low and they don't shoot worth a damn. Some do. I don't pay too much attention to them, just accuracy.

As far as velocity gain per increment of powder, I have seen velocity level then jump like stated earlier.

None of the statistics have made me pick the most accurate load for any of my rifles.

I think you can get along without a chrony for load development like HC says. Simply shoot Audette's Ladders, pick nodes and shoot the loads in the node for accuracy to choose one.

The bottom line is group size. Size matters!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Big Grins

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
No prob Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of the electronic "guts", even those of my beloved Oehler, are essentially the same and are from Taiwan, Singapore, China, or wherever.

Again, it is the screens which make all of the difference. Oehler's screens have been the best for a long time, but I understand that the screens from several of the other manufacturers have improved over time; that would probably include the Chrony. Regardless, the 12" spacing of the Chrony limits its accuracy just the way a 2 megapixel camera's resolution is limited compared to a 10 megapixel camera.

The Chrony is nice to play with; the Oehler is nice to work with.

Stonecreek, just out of curiosity, how do the velocities compare between the Chrony and the Oehler? I am VERY systematic when I set up my Chrony, making sure it is paralell to the bore as best as possible and shooting at the same height over the photo eyes, if you will. The distance between the photo eyes is self regulated by the unit itself. I would like to know how or what the Oehler is compared to as a known "control" to ensure it's accuracy. It would seem to me that the Oehler screen could be set up with less consistant distances to one another. Would this not effect the accuracy of the unit?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote