New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 30 gr. bullet loads for 17 Rem. caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a custom built .17 Remington with a 26 inch SS Lilja barrel that has 4 grooves and a 1 in 9" twist. This rifle shoots the 20 gr. V-Max, 25 gr. Starkes, 25 gr. Hornadys and 30 gr. Starkes into itty bitty groups.

However, I have been trying to find a good load for either the 30 gr. Kindler Golds or the 30 gr. Berger LTBs because they have a lot higher BC than the Starke bullets and though they might be much better for long range coyote hunting and prairie dog shooting. If anyone has some loads for either of these that shoot in the 3,800 to 4,000 fps range and you get tight groups, I'd be interested in your recipe. Primer, powder, powder charge, seating depth off the lands, etc. I have tried H4895 and VVN540 and don't get the speed and accuracy I am looking for.

Thanks in advance. Yes, I will start with lower weight powder charges and work my way up

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used the 30gr Golds in a Remington 700 Classic in .17 Remington, but my load development isn't complete yet.

The best I've done with the Remington so far has been with Varget. Off the top of my head, 23gr of Varget put things in the 3600fps bracket (too slow). I've stepped up the powder charge by .2gr for each successive loading. I have some loads of 24gr of Varget to try out yet. Bullets were seated .003" off the lands. Remington 7 1/2 primers. Accuracy with the Remington seemed to fluctuate, but how much of that was attributable to the load, rifle, or operator is subject to debate (I admit it's not as accurate as my Cooper). Accuracy seemed to improve when velocity increased though.