THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 338 Win Mag shooter looking for guidance.
 Login/Join

posted
Hello folks, I don't post too often but looking for some guidance on the 338 Win Mag, one of which I have just acquired second hand.

I intend using H4350 and H4831SC. The bullets I have to start with are the 225g SST and the 250g SP Interlock.

I have plenty of loading manuals so its not so much data I am after. I am more looking for experience, ie have people found better accuracy with mild loads or towards the top end of the pressure envelope?

I know each rifle is different (this one is a Wby Vanguard S1) but any broad guidance and expectations around velocity and accuracy with those powders and bullets would be really interesting.

Thanks.

- Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 338WM I eked out a wee bit better groups with a max load of IMR 4831.

But each rile is a story by its self. Start low work your way up.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Reloader 17 is a good choice for the .338 WM as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H4350 for the 225g
H4831 for the 250g
Those (2) SHOUD work w/ a Fed 215
Follow your manuals directions.
While not abusive (recoil wise), you do need to hang onto it.
Concentrate on three shot groups and do not get too close to the scope.
I love mine and it is confidence building on big herbivores at range or close.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My 338 was a Ruger MKII that I turned the barrel down on. Seemed the only way I could get it to group was at or just above max book loads.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes standard primers work better too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
in my particular rifle this combo works well, Mine had a BOSS on it so we shortened it and re crowned it barrel length is 21.5".Picture below with groups and load.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snellstrom. I will substitute H4350 (AR2209 here) for the IMR version and will probably work up from about 66g. Even 2700fps would be plenty for me as long as I can get a good accurate load. Some of my shots can be around 300 or more yards so I would like to think I might get something that would give me 5 inch groups or better at that range, which ain't easy I know. I usually find 1 inch groups at 100 yards often translate to 5 inches or so at 300, even on a calm day.

Nice groups with your 338.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although this is not a powder listed by you, I have to say that RL19 is THE powder for the 338!
I've been loading for the 338 for a good many years and my load consists of Rem brass, WLRM Primer, Nosler 225gr Accubonds and 76gr of RL19 (which is 2gr under max), average velocity in my 26" barrel runs @ 2890fps. It also performed excellently with Nosler 250gr Partitions and a max load of 73gr for 2750fps. It also produced 2770fps with Woodleigh 250gr PP's and the same load.
I have tested H4831 with bullets from 200, 225 and 250gr, none got the velocity or accuracy I expected with that powder, I would not recommend it.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The Nosler data list H4831 as giving a little more Fps than RL 19 in both the 225g & 250g and the most accurate powder w/ the 250g. Also, 74g max RL 19 w/ the 225g @ 105% case volume.
Each rifle IS a law unto itself.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The load I use in my .338 WM is 73 gr. of RLDR-22 and a 225 gr. Northfork. Velocity is 2800 fps as measured with the chrono and accuracy is a consistent 1- 1 1/4" " @ 100 yds. Plenty good for the moose we hunt. A 225 gr. Partition should give similar results.
BTW, I'd suggest that you use a PAST recoil pad if yer gonna touch it off from the bench. This from experience.
Good luck,
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Mike Brady...the originator of North Fork told me to just start off trying R-17 with Northfork Bullets in the .338 Win Mag. Because... it was going to be 'the' .338 WM powder.

I have and it works for me but I have limited experience with the .338 WM. I can't tell you my load with out going out to the shop and checking my notes. But I shoot 240 gr NF's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I shot Nosler partition 225's and then 250's in mine. I always got great results with IMR 4350 and magnum primers. Always killed elk like The Fist of God.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the best success with three 338 WMs using 67.5 grains IMR 4350 with 225 grain Barnes bullets. Submoa in all three rifles although with different seating depths. Velocity in the three rifles were chronographed at 2780fps with a 24 inch barrel and 2840fps/2820fps with two 26 inch barrels.

Posts: 450 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
73.o gr H4831SC + Fed 215 + 250 NPT has served me quite well.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 338WM is best near the max...

Above the mid but not Max

Snake