Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30\06 AI - Worth it?
 Login/Join

posted
Is it worth the gains to convert a 06 to the AI?
I have a model 700 I considering converting?

Posts: 24 | Location: Washburn, ND | Registered: 13 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you mean by "worth it". Loaded to the same pressures, you can expect a velocity gain of perhaps 50 FPS over the standard configuration. Conversely, if you shoot standard factory loads in the improved chamber, you will likely loose 25-50 fps.

Your Remington 700 with its 22" barrel doesn't really have enough length as it is to reach optimum velocities with the .30-06 (adequate, but not optimum, remember). The slight case capacity increase with the A.I. version just makes the short barrel that much futher from optimum.

You could likely get more velocity gain by rebarreling in standard .30-06 with a 24 inch barrel.

I'd leave it alone. There's nothing your rifle in its current configuration can't do that it could do if rechambered.

[ 12-03-2003, 23:42: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Hellrazor>
posted
Its not worth it, just had this discussion with someone a few weeks ago.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
No...

Even Parker said that using "Ackley Improved" modifications on 30-caliber and larger was a waste of time.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked the same thing awhile back and got the same response. But I do know that it made a big differance in my 6mmAI and my 25-06AI.

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the INFO.

Posts: 24 | Location: Washburn, ND | Registered: 13 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one, and although I didn't shoot it when it was a standard 06, I don't feel it was worth the little bit of added work. There are some cartridges, and ones of 30cal, that benefit from it and are worth it. You can push a bullet a bit faster with it, but as said, with 22" you are not going to get as much benefit as somebody with 24 or even 26. I had a load that was giving me just over 3k with a 165g bullet, was consistent between different bullets, and accuracy was good. but last time I shot it I was getting higher pressure. ??? But wish now I woul have left it 06 improved, now I'm going to have to use it for a custom 25caliber, damnit.

Some cartridges that are great as AI, 257 roberts, 7x57 mauser, and 35 whelen.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote