New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 500/450 Nitro Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
About 30 years ago I had a Rigby in 350 Rigby Magnum that I reloaded for. At that time reloading dies were just about impossible to find or any loading data on that caliber. I was able to use a set of 350 Remington Magnum dies to load the Rigby with, which worked fine because I fired the ammo in the same rifle all the time. With that being said do you think that the same thing could be done by loading 500/450 Nitro Express with a set of 460 Weatherby dies? I have a set of .460 dies. 500/450 Nitro dies are very scarce and expensive right now. The main concern I have would be buckling the case when crimping the bullet. I think that could probably be overcome if care is taken not to crimp to much. The rifle being used is an old Hollis Jones Underlever double and would be the only rifle the shells would be fired in.

Posts: 137 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Should be no problem, essentially the same situation as you had with the 350. The base of the 500/450 3-1/4" is .560" +/- while the base of the 460 is .580" +/- so no problem there.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks bpesteve, I looked at all the measurements and thought it should work. The 500/450 and brass is on it's way to me. I had only been able to find one set of 500/450 dies for sale and they were $510.00. I thought I would give the 460 dies I try. I guess I wanted a second opinion and I thank you for that information. When I get everything set up I will post the results.

Posts: 137 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote