New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New press input needed.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm using an RCBS turrett press. RCBS seems to be the gold standard among presses coupled with their excellent warranty and support. The Turret Press has the advantage that it holds up to six dies. You can go back and do additional things without having to remove and reset dies. Very convenient if you suddenly find a bad case and have to go back and bring another one to where you are or if you want to set up to seat different size bullets,etc.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and ordered the Frankford Arsenal. From the input ive heard its a beast of a machine and will work great for anything i can feed it. Thanks to all that responded.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its about time i moved on from my first press and to a new one. Im really looking at either a lyman T-mag 2 turret press or a single stage such as Frankford Arsenals thats on clearance at midwayusa right not. What can you tell me are the advantages of one over the other, also what can you reccomend. Im looking to spend a max of $125 on a turret, or a max of $75 on a single stage. Thanks.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee has a new cast press for sale at Midway for $60.00, looks pretty beefy.

Or you could wade through e-Bay and pick up a used Rockchucker. There's usually at least a half dozen of them on there in some form or another.

Just a couple more options.

irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree..I would rather buy a used Rockchucker than many of the new presses being sold.......I haven't used the turret press you mention......I still have a turret press..one of the ones discontinued due to expense of making it stay aligned and not wobble from use and age but if I only had one press I would chose a single stage over almost any turret press for my use......I still think of turret presses as handgun round loaders....even though they will do more.....I found that organized batch loading on a single stage is just about as fast as a turret and the single stage is more adaptable to more uses...ime....good luck and good shooting-loading!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
I started with a Lee turret. Tolerated it for nearly a year and then bought a Lyman T-Mag II. One of the BEST investments I've made in reloading equipment. Strong, stable, repeatable, versatile, reasonably-priced turrets and built like a rock.

I use my T-Mag for 7mm TCU, .22 Hornet, .32 H&R Mag, & .45 ACP. It certainly has the stroke length and strength for big rifle loads as well. I do batch reloading, but it sure makes things great not having to swap dies in and out - and constantly adjust them. Makes repeatability VERY easy. When I finish one step, I just spin that turret a click and I'm ready for the next operation. The only time I have to adjust a die is if I'm making a significant change in the bullet length used, as I sometimes do with the .32 Mag. I have some special dies (as many as 5 total for some of these cal's) for most of these calibers and dedicate a turret to each caliber. The .45 ACP of course could easily share a turret with another "standard" caliber.

My $.02 - go with the Lyman.

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your budget is, but I bought a Redding T7 when they came out and have nothing to but good results with it. I've used an RCBS JR press for over 20 years and it still turns out concentric rounds and shows no wear after much use. The Rockchucker is supposed to be even better.
I definitely recommend RCBS or Redding.
Good luck on your decision
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Redding Turret - excellent press.
I also have the Midway press (now frankford arsonal) you listed.
That single stage press gets used for Rifle shells more than my turret. It is very beefy, made of aluminum. The ram is actualy larger than the Redding.
The pictures on Midway do not do this press justice for its size.

Posts: 54 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I also have a Redding T-7 Turret. I love it as well. Well made, and can easily take 416 Remington cases. Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote