Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

coated vs non-coated bullets in 15" Encore
 Login/Join

posted
I'm thinking of loading Ballistic Silvertips in either 150gr or 168gr for my 15" Encore 308 Win.
Question is whether coated bullets would be better than non-coated in that short barrel?

Posts: 17 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There's no benefit gained from shooting coated bullets unless your barrel absolutely refuses to group anything else decently, which isn't all that likely. The plain-Jane 150 grain Ballistic Tip will do just fine in your Encore.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responce.
One of the 'benefits' I see in using the coated bullet is the potential increase in pressure which could help velocity gain in that short 15" barrel.
Any thoghts on that??

Posts: 17 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Actually, you get lowered pressures, not higher, with coated bullets. Thus, you can generally work up to top-end loads and see some gain in velocity as compared to conventional bullets. But it's generally not enough to discern in the field and certainly won't tighten your trajectory enough to make a difference.

With your 15" barrel and a 150 grain Ballistic Tip, you should be able to reach 2600 fps with no problem. Even 24-2500 fps will give you enough energy to cleanly harvest any deer inside of 300 yards. And at that velocity level, the BTs perform exceedingly well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for setting me straight on the pressure issue. It sounds like there may not be a noticeable advantage in going with coated bullets in the shorter barrel. With this Encore pistol I don't see me taking hunting shots outside of 300 yards.