Find
Notify
Tools

milk jug test 3006 with 168gr h.p.b.t.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted
I was using a remington 700 with a 24 inch barrel. The load was 56gr of IMR 4350 The feet. p. s. is about 2625 on average. After recovering the 168gr bullet the weight was 103.5gr not designed to blow up hum.I also recovered a lot of fragments hum.This test was done with horady 168gr h.p.b.t. match. In my opinon it should be as good as a sst. This test was shot at 50 yards that is about the average shot on deer around here i will have to track down some more milk jugs for a 100 yard test. by the way the bullet stop in the fourth jug.

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
That's why I won't hunt w/ match bullets, but that's just me.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted Hide Post
Why. Don't you thank it would stop a deer in it's track's.

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sure, as w/ any bullet/cartridge it's where you hit em. I just think target bullets are too unreliable in flesh. Fine for man to man work or paper but for game I want a repeatable, dependable bullet that kills from any reasonable angle & range, 50yds to 350yds or so. I'll stick to my NPs or something sim. for hunting, again, that's just my 2c. Do a search on the infamous SMK thread for add'l. opinions. SOme guys swear buy match bullets for hunting some swear against. I'm kind of in the middle, if you like them & can always plan your shot, yeh why not. Eventually though you will get a mathc bullet that explodes or penciles through, they're designed for accuracy not controlled expansion, again JMO.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What no pics? Just one bullet? How were the jugs oriented? Tell the story like I did on this thread here, it will convince more people that way. AR

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your opinon.I am going to do the same test on the S.G.K and the nosler competiton just for shits and giggles. Thanks again for your insight.