New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for accuracy at 82-88% load density
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I'm starting to reload for the 6.5x55 using the Vith. N150 and 123-130gr match bullets, for my brand new Tikka T3 Varmint. The Vihtavuori chart suggests 36-40gr, that leads to a not-so-full case. In your opinion, can such a mid-density load be really accurate?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How not-so-full is it? If it's way down there, I'd suggest a powder that has greater volume density. The problem with reduced loads is that they can lead to very high pressures. I've never used Vita powders nor loaded for the 6.5x55, so I suggest you wait for a few to post who have.

Just checked ammoguide.com. They show charges from 37.0 to 41.7 grains of N-150 for 120- to 123-grain bullets. The 41.7-grain load is a maximum for the specific bullet used in that particular load. You can't use the above values because the loads are four different ones from four different developers. You reference 36-40 grains. Seems a bit low, but not too far under what ammoguide recommends. Wait for a few more to post. See what they say...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
they can be accurate. most of the load data I use are for the model 96 swedish mausers. most of the pressure info is below 50K. A modern rifle may requier a diffrent reloading data.
start low and work up. if a powder is less than about 60% load density I will select a diffrent powder that will be higher in density
n150would be ok for 120gr bullets but for heavier bullets I would selec a diffrent powdeer.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in general rule of thumb says best is to have almost 100% density. don't know if thats really true or not, cause my rule of thumb means i just pinched it in the press somehow

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
All rifles are diff. You are just as likely to get good accuracy from a 100% load as a 90% load. The individual powder choice probably has more affect. Having said that, I prefer 100-101% load density in my rounds. It just seems easier to get accurate loads with.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too prefer higher density loads, but I have a 1 kg can of N150 and Vihtavuori suggests it as a good choice for said cartridge... bewildered

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
I too prefer higher density loads, but I have a 1 kg can of N150 and Vihtavuori suggests the powder as a good choice for said cartridge... bewildered

I use VV150 in my 260ai, about the same capacity as the 6.5x55. It works well for 120gr & ligher. For heavier bullets, I prefer slower pwoders like H4350, IMR 4831, H4831sc. You'll be fine w/ VV150, accuracy should be good, but vel will be about 100fps less than you can get going a bit slower.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
.. You'll be fine w/ VV150, accuracy should be good, but vel will be about 100fps less than you can get going a bit slower.

Accuracy is my only goal here...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildboar,

Just as a comparison although a different case size similar results.

One of the most accurate loads I ever shot in my .270 Win was using 42.5gr of IMR-3031, which had a fair amount of room left to fill in the case. Same rifle will also shoot groups just as small with 54grs of Ramshot Hunter.

Same Rifle, bullet, primer, and cases, and both loads will easily stay around 1" or shy at 200yds.

Give it a try, it won't take long to see if it will be a keeper.

Mike / Tx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your hints wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the not so full case is full enough that you can't get a double charge in it, I'd go ahead on. One of the probs with loads that don't nearly fill the case is the powder collecting against the bullet and leaving a void between the powder and the primer. This can lead to erratic powder burns, squib loads, and hang fires.
One interesting test you can do is shoot say 5 shots on target after raising the barrel upwards (to insure that the powder is against the primer) and then shoot another group after pointing the barrel down and see if there is a difference in your groups. One group each isn't much of a test but................ Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote