New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass: Norma vs Lapua
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm having some problems with reloads in my 6.5x55 Mauser action. Using new Remington brass, want to try some of the above brass as they are closer to the the true specs. Any pros or cons to which is better than the other and why.
Thanks, Kelly

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Both are good brass. The Norma has a rep of being a little softer. I've never tried the 6.5x55. I have tested a lot of Norma 280 with pressure eguipment. I normally started seeing a little expansion around 65,000-67,000.

My 280 brass heads are .473 my 06 Lapua are around .463 if my memory is working

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have brands both for 6.5x55. Both are excellent. I bought 100 norma first, then 100 lapua so I have more reloads on the norma. Have 10 reloads on some and im sure they will go over 20, and I anel after about 4 reloads.

You cant go wrong with either one. My normas are as good as my lapua and visa versa.

Used to see norma on sale, but lately Lapua is priced less.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
case life is a little better with lapua brand in my 338 lapua, if that means anything. stuff is so expensive, i wish that wolf would start loading it in steel case.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every man and his dog seems to sing the praise of Norma brass, and I suppose it is OK. But in reality I'd just as rather load in Win or Rem cases - certainly when the price is taken into account. I just seem to have run into too many different issues (soft, inconsistent etc) when loading Norma brass.

On the other hand, I'm an ardent fan of Lapua brass, with which I have nothing but good experience. My advise: buy a lifetime's supply of Lapua, and quit worrying that they might stop making your particular caliber in the future... (I see a lot of people shaking their heads at the idea that Lapua should stop making 6.5x55 brass - the archetype of Scandinavian calibers. I hope you are all right, but Lapua has stopped making both .270 Win and .222 Rem brass within the last year or so, so I'm not going to hold my breath...).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Lapua thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.
Kelly

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma has a bit more capacity but is softer. If you plan on running compressed but low pressure loads (as I do with RL22 and 165gr partitions in 30-06) then Norma has a slight advantage, don't think this applies to the 6.5x55. You can also try RWS which doesn't even need chamfering let alone sizing straight from the (20round) box. For me that is truly the best (but hideously expensive!)

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't have a 6.5x55 but The Lapua brass I have used for my 260ai (243necked up) has been much better than the RP. I have used Norma for my 280, 404j & 338-06 & it does better than RP as well. If Lapua made brass for everything I shoot, I would switch to Lapua in a heartbeat. For me Lapua, RWS, Norma, WW, & RP last.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given a choice order of preference . Lapua , RWS , Nosler , Norma , Remington . My $ .0025 worth

Military LC , Federal , Remington . I've used my last Winchester any brass .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that Nosler brass is Norma with some fine tuning.

Posts: 13 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapua is my first choice, I wish it came in more cartridges.
Winchester is my second choice.
I have very little Norma, it costs too much.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
One never knows WHO actually made your "favorite" brass. It seems like eveyone are cooperating with each other!

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Husky -

An interesting confirmation of something that has been reported for many years about the whole industry....

It was about 30 years ago I believe I first heard that the cartridges which are sold in relatively few numbers were often made for all U.S. suppliers by one manufacturer...and not always the same one. That is, if Remington was going to make a run of 35 Rem, it was no great trouble to also headstamp some of them Savage, or Winchester... In turn, If Winchester was making a run of .32-40, it would be no special feat to headstamp some "Remington". Then there were Browning, Frontier, Herter's, and numerous others. Does anyone really believe they all set up and operated brass factories?

The same certainly happens with some powders, so why not with brass?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck,
Your'e absolutely right.
I

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, it depends on what you intend to use the brass for. If you're talking hunting, you can cull an awful lot of rem/win/fed brass before you come up to $75.00/hundred for Norma. And your difference in accuracy in a sporter rifle is not gonna be worth $50.00 a hundred.
When one makes a vague statement of "I have problems" it really doesn't tell folks much. What problems are you having?
I have used both Norma and Lapua quite a bit. My choice is Lapua by a wide margin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can cull an awful lot of rem/win/fed brass before you come up to $75.00/hundred for Norma.

Especially when you can get once fired brass from an indoor range for $.05 each. I normally keep an eye out for large lots of brass all of the same head stamp. I once got 154 bright shiny Norma 7X57 cases that had all been fired in the same rifle. That rifle had a tighter chamber than my rifle. All I had to do was neck size for the first reload. They cost me $.05 each.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loading both Norma and Lapua, both are excellent, just don´t mix. Winchester-brass lube-dents much easier is my experience, indicating weaker cases.

Regards
Goran

Browning BAR II Safari .338WM
Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Blaser ES80 cal. 12/.222Rem
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote