Notify
Tools

DP85 conclusion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Smiler
  • The burning rate is somewhat slower than any of the 4350s quite similar to the 4831s.
  • Because it is a ball powder more powder can be put into a case without compression than 4350 or 4831.
  • The accuracy attributed to it is top shelf.
  • The last I checked it was still on sale for $69.00/8#.

Semper Fi means I got my 48 pounds---- get yours. nillyroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    On sale eh! where? Accurate data powder? I was just looking a accurate arms website. Is that what you be refering to?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    It is available from Powder VAlley.
    Which also has Ramshot TAC for $77.95 / 8#. Very nice powder for the .223 Rem. and others
    Kind of sounds like the Data Powder 85 is close to the DP 86 Extruded that we are still enjoying in our cartridges that prefer slow burning powders. I use my DP 86 Extruded in the .243 Win, 6.5x55 Swede and .270 WSM. If I wasn't already sitting on 24 # of the DP 86, I would definitely go for some of that DP85. Almost did , anyway, but decided I needed 16# of that Ramshot TAC. Maybe next time.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2ndtimer:

Kind of sounds like the Data Powder 85 is close to the DP 86 Extruded that we are still enjoying in our cartridges that prefer slow burning powders. .

After going through a bunch of my data it is evident that DP85 and DP86 are very close in burning rate. As stated previously the DP85 gives you an added advantage in that you can get more of it into a case. BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I never said thanks to bartsche for the heads up on DP 86. Works great in the 300 win and 243. Only wish I had bought more than 16 pounds.

Thanks pardner.

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Arniet:
    I never said thanks to bartsche for the heads up on DP 86. Thanks pardner.

You are polite and very welcome beerroger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Ya, thanks bartsche for all the information. Bought some of the 85 and have been very happy with it. I spoke with the folks at PVI. They said they had around 5000 lbs left and that was all there is. They also mentioned they only have about 2000 lbs of the special left on the TAC. The guess was it would be gone in about 2 to 3 weeks.
    I tried TAC and have had fantastic results in my 223 and 22-250. I like it much better than Varget, 335 or 4064.
    Loadin' up for dog hunting here in about 5 weeks..... dancing

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Soonerhawk:
    Ya, thanks bartsche for all the information. Bought some of the 85 and have been very happy with it. I spoke with the folks at PVI. They said they had around 5000 lbs left and that was all there is. They also mentioned they only have about 2000 lbs of the special left on the TAC. The guess was it would be gone in about 2 to 3 weeks.
    I tried TAC and have had fantastic results in my 223 and 22-250. I like it much better than Varget, 335 or 4064.
    Loadin' up for dog hunting here in about 5 weeks..... dancing

Good on U Sooner Hawk.Thanks for the heads up on TAC beerroger

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    SmilerDid the Dp 85 thing in the .358 X .404 IMP. today. 92.7 grains of it gave the same results with 91.5 grains of accurate 4350 pushing a 250 grain bullet. My body, however, is starting to protest just a little. We're talking 3k plus. BOOMroger