New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 wby accubond
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone tried the Nosler 110 accubond in a 257 wby.
If so, how was it in your gun accuracy wise.
Mine shoots 100 ballistic tips very well and I have taken a number of antelope with that combination. Looking for something a little stouter for mule deer.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
I dont have the Roy but my friends do and the Accubond will do fine in this caliber. Find the right load and drop them dead.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should find a sweet spot between 70 and 72 grains of IMR-7828. The Accubonds work really well in mine.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DF06,

Very coincidentally I just range tested that bullet in my 257 Mark V last weekend with two powders: IMR4350 and IMR7828SSC. Overall the accuracy was much better with the IMR 4350 loads and I had two charges 62.0 grains and 62.5 grains that shot 3 shots touching into 0.750 inches at 100 yards. The velocity was okay at 3239 and 3265 fps respectively. Certainly fine for a hunting load. This rifle is the synthetic plain Jane version of the Mark V and has a thin barrel so I took care to not overheat it when testing loads. I use isopropyl alcohol to cool the external surface of the barrel between loads. The 7828 SSC gave higher velocities with the maximum charge of giving just under 3500 fps. The best load with this powder was 70.5 grains with three shots into 1 3/8 inches.

The Nosler #6 manual lists IMR 4350 as the most accurate powder. I'm thinking of trying another powder like Reloader 22 or perhaps H 1000, but with groups like this it is probably a waste of components. I'll just load the two charges above and play with the seating depth. Seating depth for all my loads was 2.8165 inches with a comparator, essentially the maximum the magazine box would hold.

Hope that helps, keep us posted on your progress and results.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my remington 257 weatherby likes a 100 grain barnes tripple shock, over RL-22 ramshot magnum and ramshot hunter.
John barnsess did a article on quarter bores recently and liked the 110 grain nosler with ramshot magnum.
I would like to try the new barnes tipped tripple shock. I think its a 90 grain...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I would like to try the new barnes tipped tripple shock. I think its a 90 grain...tj3006

They have them in 80 and 100 grain bullets. I too am waiting to try them. I've shot them in my '06 and 338-378 Wby. They shoot very well (at the range anyway). I'm also wanting to try the Accubonds and the 115 grain Berger VLDs.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote