Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler factory seconds
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted
I purchased some Nosler factory seconds in .270 and .30 a couple weeks ago at a gun show. They were a smoking deal for accubonds. I was just wondering if anyone knew why they were seconds. I weighed a few and the weights were all very close on my rcbs 1500. there appears to be no nicks or bad scratches. The label on the package is the same as the label on boxes of nosler bullets but says "FACTORY SECONDS" on it. Just curious Thanx

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love them. They claim cosmetic blemishes are the only defect. I've had one lot of 50 150 grain accubonds that was stained beyond belief by something. Other than that they alway look great, shoot great, and kill like the hammer of Thor.

Shop often as you never know when the next good stuff is coming out.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/index.html

FWIW - I bet the label on them also says not for resale Smiler

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Factory Seconds are cosmetic blems and Production overruns. I have had Partition and Accubond seconds with cannelure and without, Accubonds with white tips, red tips and orange tips all in the same caliber.
Although they may look different, they shoot great.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but Nosler seconds in my 7mm rifles. They are Partitions, and shoot great.
Mine have cannelures, where the regularly sold bullets do not have them. My 7mm Mag drops three shots into a 1/2" group at 100 yards; not too shabby for the price of the bullets.

Don

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've shot 2nds in 7mm & 338 & honestly can't see any diff. between them & NIB. Infact, my recent box of 338/210grNPs have a crimping groove, probably over run for Federal ammo, & they shoot better than the last new box I bought. clap

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best group I ever shot....(.9"/300yds/5 shots) was with 180bt blems out of my tikka 300 win mag!!! Probably alot of luck but I buy them often. Only complaint is that the shipping is $13 no matter how many bags you order so you either have to shoot alot yourself or get together with some friends. Right now they have a real good selection of blems in many calibers. Come later in fall they seem to usually disappear so now IS A GOOD TIME TO GET ORDERING.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some Nosler "seconds" are overruns from contracts with ammunition companies (which is why you find crimping cannelures on some of them when they do not appear on the same bullet in a commercial box.)

Other Nosler "seconds" are truly blemished or the guilding metal alloy failed to polish out to standards. These seem to be rare.

Yet other Nosler "seconds" appear to be simply first run bullets that are currently in oversupply, so they are bagged in plastic rather than boxed to be sold as "seconds". This gives Nosler an excuse to directly market some of their production, which probably yields them a larger margin than selling them as "firsts" through the regular distribution channels.

I've had nothing other than excellent experiences with Nosler "seconds".

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only "blemishes" I've found were in .277" 150gr partitions, the lead tips were different sizes on about a dozen out of 100, but the weight was within the normal range that I could tell. The outa focus pic shows what I mean.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have no complaints regarding Nosler 2nds, and their brass is something that I buy as well.

Right now, you can get 7mm, 140 grain BTs for 6.95 per 50 or 6.5mm, 125 grain Partitions for 9.95 per 50. Considering the recent increases with all bullet pricing, this makes the Partition cheaper than a standard cup and core projectile.

How can you go wrong with that? Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang good price for good bullets. Just placed my 2nd big order of these....

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Hope you left some for me! Wink

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote